Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 07:17 AM

Advice needed please.

Hi I really need some genuine help please. I`ve recently split with my ex and gone from 50 acres to 2. I`ve seven dogs and they`ve all settled it very well apart from one. Cerin is 6 years old and a lab x springer. She was always out with one of us before we moved,my ex was full time on the farm so when I was at work she had constant freedom. Now it`s just me and I have to work so she has a lot less freedom and one on one attention. She was the only one I was concerned about tbh,the others are older and a lot more grounded and have settled in well.
I can see she`s not enjoying this new life and it`s breaking my heart but so is the thought of re-homing her,she`s only known me and my ex for the last 6 years. Will I end up causing her more distress by doing something that I think is for the best for her? She`s a small black dog and I know they stay in rescues the longest so that is going to be even more upsetting for her and me.
I really don`t know what to do here,I know I`ve got to keep my emotions out of this but I really need some good,honest advice please.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2015, 08:53 AM
I'mn sorry to hear of your split from your partner.

It takes time for humans and dogs to adjust to a new situation. I expect she is missing your partner too.
I'm sure if she had the choice she would rather be with her human and dog companions than be rehomed .

Does she have access to the two acres while you are at work?
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi Dibbythedog, no,she has a large insulated shed with a very large run,radio,paddling pool,toys etc. She`s one of three of my girls,all rescues,who don`t like being indoors while i`m away. They are happy while i`m home to be indoors with me but hate it when i`m away. I also have neighbours now,which is something we`ve never had before. So far they`ve all been very good,they aren`t barkers,they`ll woof at sudden noises but that`s it. The neighbours complaining has been something i`ve been really stressed about tbh you hear so many bad things about upset neighbours.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your poor pooch and can understand that you must be stressed about the breakup, move and now her. I do wonder if that is having an effect on her too.
How long ago did you move?
What behaviours is she displaying that are making you concerned? Maybe it's something that we can help you fix? Dogs are pretty adaptable, but I agree with the others, she will be much happier staying where she is than going into rescue. And if you gave her up, it's unlikely that she's going to find a home where she can be on the go all day, with so much land.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2015, 10:38 AM
How long have you been apart from your partner. If it were me I would use some ignatia. It is homeopathic. Also gelsemium.
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Hi SarahJade thank you for replying,I`ve been worried that my stress levels will affect her too,she`s a sensitive little dog. I moved two weeks ago but took some leave to settle them and my horses in. I`m back at work now and it`s my rest day today. She`s really not herself,she seems to have lost some confidence and she looks so sad at the moment,I suppose if she was human you`d say she was depressed.I know that doesn`t sound like much to some but I know her so well,she`s a happy lively dog usually.
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Hi brenda1 thanks for replying. I never thought of the homeopathic route! I started her on zylkene 5 days before the move and for the first week as advised by the vet. She also has a dap collar. We`ve been separated for a year now, my ex loved Cerin as much as I do but she hasn`t seen her in all that time. I`m off to google those remedies now.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2015, 12:27 PM
IMO rehoming is a good option IFF (that's if and only if) you can find the right home.

I wouldn't consider putting such a dog in a shelter for rehoming, but it's worth trying an ad in a local paper or online publication. Mention that she needs freedom to run.

IMO medicine, homeopathic or otherwise, is not going to cure this itch. A dog that needs exercise and is used to running free is a healthy dog that needs freedom, not medication. I'm not sure people read Huxley any more . . . but this is too much like soma in Brave New World for my taste.

In my experience, Labs make pretty good couch potatoes, but springers don't.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2015, 12:56 PM
I`ve recently split with my ex and gone from 50 acres to 2. I`ve seven dogs and they`ve all settled it very well apart from one.
Hi GG it sounds as though you have been through a stressful time and that Cerin has been affected by it all .

I moved two weeks ago but took some leave to settle them and my horses in.
...more uncertainty for her and very early days yet..

she has a large insulated shed with a very large run,radio,paddling pool,toys etc. She`s one of three of my girls,gall rescues,who don`t like being indoors while i`m away. They are happy while i`m home to be indoors with me but hate it when i`m away. I also have neighbours now,which is something we`ve never had before. .
Although Cerin's circumstances have changed she is still a lot better of than many dogs with the company of others she knows she has a degree of familiar and stability which is very important for all dogs.
Ok she may not be as 'happy' as she once was but I think she will settle in time and all things considered I wouldn't for one moment contemplate rehoming her.

GG I hope you will all be happy in your new home.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
The neighbours complaining has been something i`ve been really stressed about tbh you hear so many bad things about upset neighbours.
If they haven't complained then put it to the back of your mind after all they may well be sensible people.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >