View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Is there a legal minimum age to sell a puppy?

I joined a pet group on another site to advertise microchipping as I could do with a few extra pennies before xmas.

Im sorry I did, someone on there is selling 5 week old American Bulldogs. Everyone kicked off on her and she said they are not feeding off mum anymore so its OK

Well she deleted her ad with the comments and posted another not stating the ages of the pups

Anyway someone said it is illegal to sell pups this young, anyone know if it actually is?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
No there is no "legal" minimum age, unfortunately.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Hi sarah. No, there is no minimum age unfortunately.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Ahhh thanks, these poor pups, I dread to think what will happen to them
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:07 PM
i don't think its illegal, but its damn well not right. I mean you need to consider the remifications of the dogs future behaviour if you do take it this young. An extra week or two does not seem much, but its the most important time of that pups life full stop. If they do take it that young they will likely have a pup which might be mouthy and have no bite inhibition when playing. Or they could have a dog which is slower to pick up on other dogs body language is less confident.. the list is endless. Unless there is a health or safety reason with mama dog the pups should really still be with mum and each other :S 7-8 weeks is normally a good age, ideally no longer than about 9.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
i don't think its illegal, but its damn well not right. I mean you need to consider the remifications of the dogs future behaviour if you do take it this young. An extra week or two does not seem much, but its the most important time of that pups life full stop. If they do take it that young they will likely have a pup which might be mouthy and have no bite inhibition when playing. Or they could have a dog which is slower to pick up on other dogs body language is less confident.. the list is endless. Unless there is a health or safety reason with mama dog the pups should really still be with mum and each other :S 7-8 weeks is normally a good age, ideally no longer than about 9.
She wasnt having any of the advice, none of it was nasty, just along those lines of what you have said, she deleted the lot
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh my god shes sold one, it was 2 before its one for sale now
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
if its scotland there is actually a licensing act for sale of young animals.. but if not then no... sadly not.

Stafford rescue up here have a 5 week old staffie pup abandoned and in need of foster its just not right
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
if its scotland there is actually a licensing act for sale of young animals.. but if not then no... sadly not.

Stafford rescue up here have a 5 week old staffie pup abandoned and in need of foster its just not right
Its England
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post

That's terrible I hope he finds a lovely foster home soon and can get the love and care he needs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >