View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
A decent person would never have asked you to do this . It's your house and your dog's home .
She could have said that you meet at hers or out somewhere . I would steer clear of her .
But that's just me , I tend to get upset about people saying things like that
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I do put Daisy in another room when people come who are afraid of dogs - but that`s because she reacts to people who show fear. The other three mutts they have to put up with.
I agree with everyone else, boringly enough. If it is a real fear of dogs, you could maybe help her get over it with gradual introductions etc. If it`s breed prejudice, tell her to take a hike.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I would agree with the posts stating introduce slowly, maybe have Bruno in another room at first.

I've had people in my house who are scared of all dogs, but when they meet Dougal the fear seems to melt away. I was especially proud of him when one of David's friends, Brandon came in, he was scared of dogs to start with but was soon laughing and playing with Dougal. Dougal was as gentle as a lamb with him too.

I'm sure if you introduce Bruno slowly, your new friend will come round and lose her fear.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
It's a hard one....
I always put the dogs away when we have visitors. I normally have 3 big bouncy dog here so I think it is only fair. If soemone told me they were firghtened I would definitely put them in another room and offer to introduce them to each other later in the visit, with a dog on a lead. Several of my son's friend's are dog phoebic, one has even had counselling about it already (he's 8 ) and this approach has ensured that none of them feel under any pressure to interact or meet the dogs. They all end up wanting to and also end up voluntarily stroking them. I adopt a 'show people we're laid back and flexible and so are our dogs' and it seems to work. There is no pressure to meet our dogs...

I also think that when people visit, especially children, they are coming to see my son, not the dogs,it is easier when the children love dogs and are dog savvy...but if they aren't, I feel it's part of my job as a responsible dog owner, to educate people 'quietly'.

If I were you I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, invite her round,and offer, after an hour or so, for her to meet Bruno on the lead.If she says no..ask her the next time she visits, let ehr see him through a babygate or window...it works everytime for us.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I can see it from both sides. I grew up scared of dogs. As a young child I had no contact with them and lots of warnings from my mother... 'Don't go near. You never know when they might turn'..
Now I have a brother in law who's almost phobic.

Personally I think if people will admit they're being unreasonable and have a problem I'd do all I could to help.

Maybe you could meet her away from the house and chat about things or go to her for the first visit. If she's willing to try and get over this fear how about offering to let her meet Bruno on lead and keep a bit of distance. Then take things slowly and build it up gradually. She might be willing to make the effort for her little girl's sake. After all children who have no idea how to behave around dogs are the ones who're more likely to get hurt.

I wouldn't muzzle Bruno and I wouldn't keep him shut up all the time. When Philip visits us I make sure Dale is in the kitchen when he arrives and only bring Dale in once we're all seated. I also bribe him with a chew or something to keep him occupied beside me. I must admit the visits are still short

Good luck.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I think if she has a phobia of dogs then it would be difficult for her to overcome. I wouldn't put my dogs out for anyone coming to my house. Although I do ask people if they mind dogs.

Haven't had anyone say 'Yes I do mind them' though.

I think meeting her somewhere else would be a better bet.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
No, I think you are being reasonable.

You have offered to introduce them and if they are still nervous, you will put him in another room.

If that isn't enough for them then I think I would meet somewhere else for coffee
Dito,
Having met bruno, I think he would be the ideal dog for someone who is a bit worried about dogs, hes a sweet lad with people,
you have offered to meet her half way there by saying if she really is not comfy with it you will put him in another room,
the least she can do is come out and meet you half way by giving it a go,
I think tbh if it were a poodle she wouldnt bother, hence all the questions about the dog and kid, I think she has gotten hung up on the breed card, something I truely understand, given I own those wean eating bass devil dogs,
she clearly has heard they just turn for no reason,, and believes that,,
people like us suffer dani, cos of the actions of a few dead heads who own the breeds we have,

I had some mothers who wouldnt let there kids come round and play at our house when gordon was younger, BUT given time they all came round {some slower than others} up to the point they were happy to let there kids sleep over, but it did take time,
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I have a friend who is scared of my dog, I don't see her often, but when she comes round I have always put them in another room or outside in the garden. Then when she's been here for a while I casually let them in and ask her to just let them sniff her and go off, I just tell them to go and lie down when all the excitement of her initial entry is over. If anybody strange comes into my house, the dogs have always been put outside with this same ritual, until I have asked them if they're frightened of dogs and would they mind if I just let them roam around my house again. I do this, not for the people coming round, but more for the risk of anything happening to my dogs if they did suddenly take a dislike to somebody, coz my kind of dogs can actually do that, I've seen it! I did have a dog aggressive gsd once and she was always put in another room when I had visitors, especially young children, because although she had NEVER shown aggression towards any person, I just wouldn't trust that she didn't have it in her having seen her be aggressive with other dogs.

I really think when kids are involved you really can't be too careful. I don't like the fact that I'VE had to put my dogs away either in MY house, but as I said, it's far better than what could happen, and I always think of the worst case scenario!

Whichever way you do this, I still say Bruno should be put away for the INITIAL entry into the house though. He'll be a lot calmer once they've been there for 5 mins. or so, and will probably just ignore them like mine do, if you intend to introduce them, and good luck, I'm sure all will be fine, it always was with my dog aggressive dog.

Having said all that, I do remember when my best friend popped into the house one day to let the dogs out for me when we were away, and she just happened to bring her teenage daughter (19) who was scared of dogs. As she came into the back door and the dogs greeted her, my Cassie, the softest thing on four legs, actually stood there, barred her teeth and growled very softly at my friend's daughter who was hiding behind her mum (my friend!) I couldn't believe it when she told me this, but strange things happen! Her daughter slowly backed out of the door and sat out in the car!!!!! Was this perhaps because she WAS frightened of dogs though? Even though she had met my Cassie loads and loads of times when we were OUT or when she had come round here when I was home?! Very strange. Unpredicable? Yes!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 03:15 PM
thanks for all the replies, varying that they are !!LOL

Well she hasnt got back to me so she is either offended that I said that i wouldnt muzzle him, or she isnt interested in meeting me halfway. Thats as much as I am willing to do, its Bruno's house too and I am not about to lock him away for a long visit. I will wait and see what she come sback with.
I have never been in this position before as everyone who knows me knows I have the dog, and they are used to being in and the dog being around. noone has actually said that the reason they wont visit me is because of the dog before...

Shona - thanks for saying that - yes he is a great big lump with people, and I think that i actually get over sensitive to the fact that people make assumptions about him that are completely ridiculous. and based on media coverage.

thanks for all the advice folks its most appreciated and will let you know what happens.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I have a slightly different situation, mainly because Loki is very big and bouncy AND incredibly excitable .

I have a safety gate and when my mum comes round I keep Loki the other side of the gate because he could knock her flying as she is only little.

If people visit I do the same because he gets too excited and not everyone wants a furry idiot on their lap .

If someone comes round with a child, I do keep him separate, behind the gate, for the same reasons. Sometimes I put him in the kitchen behind the gate, but I don't close the door. He is large and does play a bit rough when he's excited and can easily knock a little person over. Also I think it's better for him because he's protected from eager little fingers pulling at him . Also I realise that not everyone is into dogs and Loki can be very 'in your face' .

As a mum myself, I must admit I would always supervise interactions with other people's dogs (and my own) and would judge for myself whether the dog is trustworthy. I wouldn't object if the dog was in the room but if he behaved like Loki , then I would .

When uninvited visitors (people trying to sell me their religion! ) come to the door I ALWAYS take him with me and make a big deal out of hanging onto his collar as though he is going to break free any second. They don't usually spend too long trying to persuade me to sign up .
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >