View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Yes, absolutely 100%. I have reported someone before for leaving their dogs out in a shed in terrible conditions and I certainly would report it if I saw anyone beating up their dog.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
In all honesty it would depend who it was/where it was etc.

If I rang the local dog wardens/RSPCA and said I'd seen someone beat their dog whilst out walking, realistically, what could they do? I might have a description of both the walker and dog, but I suspect the authorities couldn't/wouldn't do anything.

It would depend who was walking the dog as to whether I said anything to them - call me a coward, but if I see a huge 6ft something bloke beating the crap out of his dog, I'd probably be too scared to say anything to his face.

And, truthfully, I'm not sure I could 'engineer' a dog away from it's owners unless they were willing to give the dog up.
At least you're honist, got to respect that.

Some would say, that one of my biggest issues is, that I won't back down, regardless of how much bigger my opponent is, or wether or not I'm out numbered. Bullies are cowards after all, and from personal experience, they don't act unless they smell fear.

If I see a child/adult/animal being bullied/abused, then I'll be strait in there. My brain doesn't seem to think about doing a personal risk assessment.

Madness maybe, but thats just the way I'm wired.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
At least you're honist, got to respect that.

Some would say, that one of my biggest issues is, that I won't back down, regardless of how much bigger my opponent is, or wether or not I'm out numbered. Bullies are cowards after all, and from personal experience, they don't act unless they smell fear.

If I see a child/adult/animal being bullied/abused, then I'll be strait in there. My brain doesn't seem to think about doing a personal risk assessment.

Madness maybe, but thats just the way I'm wired.
Honest, yup, that's me....

In terms of stepping in, I've been beaten up and attacked before, and frankly, wouldn't put myself in that situation willingly ever again.

I'm willing to trade words/insults/shouts with someone, but would instantly back away from anything physical.

And, TBH, if I had my dogs with me, I know what they would do if they thought I was being threatened, and I wouldn't want to put them in that situation.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes and have done....given my name and address too not done it annon.

We took a blind old SBT from a man in small heath park who was being beaten over the head with a chain by the owner...hubby held onto him whilst the police came out and they rang the RSPCA

Reported a neighbour to the RSPCA when his dog was tied with wire round his neck, and I even went round before doing it to speak to them but got no-where as the dog had been there two days in pouring rain.

I would want anyone to report me if they suspected abuse too.
I have always believed that people have a choice in what they do and how they choose to behave, whether it be good or bad.....an animal unfortunately has no choice but to stay where it is......and I have a lot of ex abused animals here, all they have now is peace and me to protect them, and i would and will protect an animal anywhere if I feel it is being abused
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I have rung the RSPCA on a couple of occasions and would do again, but it's so hard when all you want to do is save the animal straight away.

I had a friend who used to leave her dog outside for most of the day and allow her husband to taunt and tease the dog. I'm not sure that he was ever beaten but I know he would be flicked with a rolled up tea towel. That flipping hurts! The dog was left outside for so long he had worn a path where he would repetitively run up and down. They left a broken toilet cistern lid propped up at the end of the garden, right where the dog would jump up. To this day I think it was done on purpose. The dog jumped at the wall, came down on the lid and severed an artery in his leg. She called me and we raced him to the vet where we were later told he was lucky to have made it.

Thankfully I didn't have to involve the RSPCA in that case and Dylan came home with me from the vets after he recovered from his op. I did tell her that it was either that or I would report her for cruelty and neglect.

I know Dylan's story was a case of 'right place, right time' for him and me, but sadly so many cases aren't so simple to put right.
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I've been fortunate in that I've never been in a situation to need to phone the RSPCA or police. However I would do so straight away if I ever saw something that was wrong.

Animals are helpless in so many ways and need someone to stand up for them and speak out!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Honest, yup, that's me....

In terms of stepping in, I've been beaten up and attacked before, and frankly, wouldn't put myself in that situation willingly ever again.

I'm willing to trade words/insults/shouts with someone, but would instantly back away from anything physical.

And, TBH, if I had my dogs with me, I know what they would do if they thought I was being threatened, and I wouldn't want to put them in that situation.
You see, my dogs would prob either think it was all a big game, or be hiding behind me.

Of course, I much prefer just trading insults, but if it comes to more, then I won't run, maybe if I was terribly outnumbered, and it was only me I was fighting for, but I couldn't do that, if another person/animal, was relying on me to stand up for them, I'd rather take the beating. The way I see it, if I'm going down, then I'm going down fighting.

I really do wish that there was someone around to hold me back. As I think I need it sometimes.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I think I`d offer to buy the dog. Mainly because I know of a local case where starved and neglected dogs were given back following a police & RSPCA raid because they were his property. They were put to sleep, probably to avoid a further vet inspection.
However, our Dog Warden is brilliant so I probably have a word with her first.
And if all else failed I do know cases where dogs have been`disappeared`.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post

I would want anyone to report me if they suspected abuse too.
I have always believed that people have a choice in what they do and how they choose to behave, whether it be good or bad.....an animal unfortunately has no choice but to stay where it is......and I have a lot of ex abused animals here, all they have now is peace and me to protect them, and i would and will protect an animal anywhere if I feel it is being abused
I agree with this basis, its about speaking up for the animal, as they dont have a voice just the same as if it was a child. I think there are too many situations where people say "oh where were the fami.y or how could that not be noticed" and if no one is willling to stand up and be counted then where would it end/stop?

If I saw someone beating their dog in the park/ street then I would shout at them to stop, but could I actually take the dog off them - NO. If I was in a position to I would follow them home and report them. If not and it was a neighbour etc then yes again I would.

Again too many horrid situations in rescue that you hear about and someone has to stand up for these dogs.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
You see, my dogs would prob either think it was all a big game, or be hiding behind me.

Of course, I much prefer just trading insults, but if it comes to more, then I won't run, maybe if I was terribly outnumbered, and it was only me I was fighting for, but I couldn't do that, if another person/animal, was relying on me to stand up for them, I'd rather take the beating. The way I see it, if I'm going down, then I'm going down fighting.

I really do wish that there was someone around to hold me back. As I think I need it sometimes.
My two won't let anyone within about 10ft of me, end of story. If there were raised voices etc, I suspect that would change.

That's a noble thing to say though, that you'd take a beating regardless of circumstances (practically).

After having my arm fractured in 2 places by being hit with a stick (whilst I was trying to defend myself) I'm probably too big a coward now to offer myself up.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »