Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Maybe it's the way I said it....

She isn't DA, I have seen another dog hanging off her ear and she just curls a lip, it's a perceived threat and stiff body language is threatening no matter which way you look at it, it's one of the reasons some breeds get jumped on by other dogs so much, not because they are threatening but because they way we have bred them makes them constantly look threatening.

I remember a woman once in my local park coming up to us to say hello and gushing because her dog was wagging his tail and wanted to say hello, what he was actually doing was a whole different thing but she didn't know enough to see that. I do know enough so I don't blame anyone for their dogs, to do so would be unrealistic but I am aware of how much people just don't know
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Dillon would love to meet every dog he see's out but I decide whether he does or not. Firstly I ask if it is ok as he is is big and bouncy and a tad annoying at times I am sure to some dogs plus he has to learn he can't always do what he wants to do and he doesn't get aggression he backs off but is already to go back in again to say hello so I assess the situation and ask and make the decision If I think its ok or not or if I feel up to being barged and having my arm yanked about.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes I always ask if dogs are friendly before Mollie gets to say hello, I usually say be polite and say hello nicely to her which made some people laugh the other day when as I said it my husband piped up with a cheerful good morning LOL
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I agree with what many of the others have said. I do my best to keep my dog under control while giving the oncoming dog as much room as possible.

I also agree that it's best to block eye contact between the dogs so the dogs don't feel threatened/challenged. So sometimes it helps to quickly but calmly turn my dog the other way or get him to look at me.

I can't control what other dogs do, but I can do my best to control my own dog.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lindsay&River View Post
I agree with what many of the others have said. I do my best to keep my dog under control while giving the oncoming dog as much room as possible.

I also agree that it's best to block eye contact between the dogs so the dogs don't feel threatened/challenged. So sometimes it helps to quickly but calmly turn my dog the other way or get him to look at me.

I can't control what other dogs do, but I can do my best to control my own dog.
Well said
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Ehh. On occassion, Jade does snarl/bark/growl/lunge at other dogs. I have never seen another dog she LIKED and relaxed around. She can tolerate most males, but other bitches are just rivals to her.

She is a powerful dog, though age has weakened her and capable of dealing significant damage should she attack. If I know there will be other dogs, we don't go. If this is unavoidable.. like say, the vet... she gets a muzzle.

If she starts growling or something, I usually make an effort to turn back or walk wayyyy away from the other dog. People here like to make the situations worse.

They often walk closer on purpose as their dog acts the same way Jade does (usually a pit bull and his dumb-ass owner) so like I said, I endeavor to avoid these situations as much as possible.

Nigredo is fine. He greets all dogs with a wag and a nice calm sniff. However, he doesn't understand when a dog is mad (or doesn't care) and tends to bark all in the dogs face if met with aggression... which of course can be a problem.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2013, 12:36 AM
I keep Oscar on a flexi lead as he's not a friendly dog he lunges and barks ect. Most people around here always put their dogs on leads when they're going up to other dogs which is great for everybody there are some huge dogs around here, Most people just laugh at him cos he's little but I'd hate for him to hurt another dog so keepiong him under controll at all times is a must for us.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
..dogs that are on lead, but always lunge/bark at your dog?

There is a dog (a lab) around here who got attacked when he was a pup, and now he has become very aggressive towards other dogs. He's always on a lead, but lunges and barks a lot at other dogs. Which often then gets a response from the other dog.

What would you do in this situation?
Dogs that always lunge or bark at us-- I will give them their distance or try to time our walks not to coincide with theirs. If we do meet, I'll take mine aside calmly, to let the other pass. My boys will sit quietly, but my little girl will bark her head off, especially if she's on lead. She won't bite anybody-- she just likes to establish a distance. I try to keep her from escalating things so we can all move on. I aim for maintaining peace, so if I can have a conversation with the other owner, that's great.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2013, 11:01 PM
No idea but a family have recently moved in by me they have a lovely old dog about 16 or so fantastic a 3 year old dog who is mental and reacitive around other dogs and to the point the owners try to hide his vision behind cars to reduce the lunging/barking. They also have a 6 month old terrier who is totally laid back all brought up the same by the same owners etc. The middle dog makes walking a nightmare for them.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >