Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2013, 10:02 AM

Dog coats etc. for harnesses

Does anyone know a good dog coat brand or make that sells dog coats with a hole on the top to get the harness ring through? I'm looking for good quality, ethical product made in the UK ideally.

Any ideas?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Perhaps I am doing it wrong but I put the harness on top of the coat or jumper rather than have a hole in it.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah I've done that too and it works fine. But if the coat is thick I have to reajust the harness straps when I put it over the coat and for winter, I won't have the coat on all the time, I just want to throw it on in the car when Ella can't run around and heat herself up but I leave the harness on in the car in case something happens. I'd have to take it all on and off all the time, I think it would just be easier if it had a little hole on the top
But.. I'd still be interested to know about your suggestions of normal dog coats!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Ah I see I tend to leave the coats on in the car as they cool down fairly quickly and the heating doesn't get back there very fast.

Actually have another thicker coat I put on Mollie last year when she got in the car as she would shiver as I drove home.

Could you cut a slit in them and just button hole sew them to seal ?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Danish Design and Ancol have holes in but I think only for collars. If you put a hole for a harness would the rain not get in?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2013, 11:04 AM
When I used to use harnesses I found it easier to put the harness on top of the coat. I used easily adjustable harnesses so didn't take long to make them fit over coats or bare bodies.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Oh yeah I've done that too and it works fine. But if the coat is thick I have to reajust the harness straps when I put it over the coat and for winter, I won't have the coat on all the time, I just want to throw it on in the car when Ella can't run around and heat herself up but I leave the harness on in the car in case something happens. I'd have to take it all on and off all the time, I think it would just be easier if it had a little hole on the top
But.. I'd still be interested to know about your suggestions of normal dog coats!
Would 2 harnesses be out of the question? One adjusted for over the coat, one for over bare body?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2013, 12:42 PM
The Ancol fleecey lined coats I have for the girls came with a hole for a collar but not for a harness. Luckily I have a sewing machine which does buttonholes so I made an opening farther down the back of their coats and can now attach their leads to their harness.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2013, 04:27 PM
If I were you and didn't want to put the harness over the coat, simply cut a hole in the correct place and seam some binding round it. If its for warmth a tiny hole won't make any difference and if it rains such a minimal amount would go through.

Good luck
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
If I were you and didn't want to put the harness over the coat, simply cut a hole in the correct place and seam some binding round it. If its for warmth a tiny hole won't make any difference and if it rains such a minimal amount would go through.

Good luck
Exactly what I do,so no coat is out of the question.Just buy whichever I choose and customise!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >