Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kuromi
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
And who do you think the most sought-after dogs are for breeding from and subsequent puppies - SHOW WINNERS
and those highly placed!!!!
How many times do you see advs for puppies with the words
'many champions in pedigree...'
And of course they should have good health results - if they are being shown then they are, presumably, the best the breed can offer and that should reflect on their health results as well
In general yes, but some people show just for fun, because they and their dogs enjoy it. Why would anyone assume all dogs being shown are "the best"? Anyone with a KC reg dog can enter a show that doesn't require qualification. Being shown does not automatically mean the dog is the best the breed can offer, although most are great examples, I'm sure we have all seen very bad examples of our chosen breeds in the ring from time to time. But they have just as much right to be there and enjoy the day as anyone else. Hopefully the judges will have the experience to only place the best dogs of course, but why should someone be stopped from enjoying a hobby just because their dog is not suitable for breeding, if they have no plans to breed anyway?

I am still showing one of my dogs who sadly turned out not to be suitable for breeding, and I will never breed him of course, but he loves the show ring and he will continue to compete until he no longer enjoys a day out at a show. I am not bothered if he wins anything, but we have fun taking part. Yes the show ring is an important tool for bettering breeds and this should always be the motivation behind the judges decision, but let's not forget it is also just a hobby for many people, a nice day out with their dog and meeting up with like minded friends. As long as they are responsible in not breeding dogs with unsatisfactory health test results, let them continue to enjoy a fun day out with their dog. The results, whatever they are, have no bearing on the breed if the dog is never bred from. You can also show neutered dogs, remember.

No responsible breeder, or sensible puppy buyer who has taken the time to research, is going to make the decision to buy based on what a dog has won, without the health testing required for that particular breed.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2013, 05:21 PM
The whole point and purpose of competition is as a form of assessment - just because a dog takes part in a field trial or a dog show does not mean that it is automatically 'the best'.

It's important that all breeders assess what they are producing against others of the same type how else can I as a breeder know that I am breeding dogs of quality ? - where else would breeders such as myself see dogs from all over the U K and overseas and how else can I assess their construction and temperament and the quality of the pups they produce ?

very few dogs take part in competition such as showing ( only around 2 percent) - only a handful are truly 'the best' - it is unsustainable to only restrict health testing to these few ALL dogs used for breeding must have their health status recorded irrespective of whether they compete or not
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
The whole point and purpose of competition is as a form of assessment - just because a dog takes part in a field trial or a dog show does not mean that it is automatically 'the best'.
but, surely, a dog with health problems shouldn't be in the show ring. What message does that send out?

It's important that all breeders assess what they are producing against others of the same type how else can I as a breeder know that I am breeding dogs of quality ? - where else would breeders such as myself see dogs from all over the U K and overseas and how else can I assess their construction and temperament and the quality of the pups they produce ?
But surely you, as a breeder, wants to assess healthy dogs.
Dogs that have hereditary defects shouldn't be producing pups so I don't see what you would gain from assessing them??

very few dogs take part in competition such as showing ( only around 2 percent) - only a handful are truly 'the best' - it is unsustainable to only restrict health testing to these few ALL dogs used for breeding must have their health status recorded irrespective of whether they compete or not
fully agree!
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2013, 05:25 AM
..yep I would not want to be using unhealthy dogs to produce the next generation
But using shows as a assessment of construction , temperament and type does not preclude me from then enquiring about a dog's health if I then wish to use it ....

....if health testing is to be a requirement before entering the show ring irrespective of whether a dog is being bred from then equally it should be before entering an agility or field trial competition and that should include any cross breeds involved too .....why single out only this one area of competition ?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Yeah I can see the direction you're going in Bijou and I understand you can take things to the other extreme. You are obviously going to enquire after health tests, because that is the person you are, and I am the same. However there are people out there who aren't going to even let the phrase 'health test' enter their mind, much less appreciate the importance of them and Heaven Forbid actively seek out a male or female with the appropriate tests. I remember reading that the owner of the winner of Crufts the other year was thinking of breeding from her, I think the poor dog was 7, so that shows that even owners of a champion like that have no real idea sometimes!!!
I still feel that placing importance on the relevance of health tests can only benefit all breeds long term, and if it became mandatory for showing then it would eventually become the norm for people looking to breed or wanting a puppy would become more educated as to the desirablitly of them.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
This is welcome news and will give a clear benchmark for puppy buyers to look for

here's a snippet of what this means

here's the full anouncement http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4842/23/5/3
Hi It's a step in the right direction,but now with the first cross dogs,that people just breed usually in their homes,but hopefully the micro chipping will also help.But I am pleased that they have stepped up to the plate.crystalgirl
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Yeah I can see the direction you're going in Bijou and I understand you can take things to the other extreme. You are obviously going to enquire after health tests, because that is the person you are, and I am the same. However there are people out there who aren't going to even let the phrase 'health test' enter their mind, much less appreciate the importance of them and Heaven Forbid actively seek out a male or female with the appropriate tests. I remember reading that the owner of the winner of Crufts the other year was thinking of breeding from her, I think the poor dog was 7, so that shows that even owners of a champion like that have no real idea sometimes!!!
I still feel that placing importance on the relevance of health tests can only benefit all breeds long term, and if it became mandatory for showing then it would eventually become the norm for people looking to breed or wanting a puppy would become more educated as to the desirablitly of them.
Hi TW I think you are right,but some health tests are used as a tool to sell the puppies like hip scoring,as you said most people are not really aware of other more important tests,although crufts did have a vet that the best of breed are checked for certain weaknesses before joining the next stage.All little steps,but eventually the penny will drop and people in the dog world will become more responsible like yourself and not just worry about the monetary side,but take an interest long term and dogs will benefit crystalgirl
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2