Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 11:38 PM

Dog Coat Recommendations?

Hi guys

My precious wee sensitive shepherd doesn't like the cold , and is 'suffering' from it... he will do anything to avoid putting his feet on the grass, and now urinates on the patio, followed by him sitting inside and shivering, our central heating does a lousy job at heating the ground floor, it just doesn't get warm.

I am ashamed to say I have even contemplated doglet boots for Fern just to get him to go to the bathroom on the grass (before you ask, yes I'm standing on the grass trying to get him to come down off the concrete ) My wee pup just doesn't like the cold and makes it very clear he's unhappy about it!

So I've been perusing websites etc trying to work out which to get, looking for something affordable, that will keep the warmth locked, perhaps waterproof, not sure about the waterproofing though

Can you recommend any online webstores that have products your doglets have used? and why you recommend the product? I need to order one quite swiftly before winter takes a turn for the worst.

Really appreciate your help on this.

xi
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey Ingrid

When Archie was about Fern's age we had a really bad spell of rain and he refused to go outside to pee It really set us back on toilet training and we had to get Archie a little coat, but eventually he just got over it.

Remember everything is a new sensation to pups and it must be really weird for Fern it suddenly being so cold I'm sure he'll get over it, try and play some fun games with him outside or something?

Norty Fern giving your mum a hard time!!!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Thanks Tuti, we already do this with him but he's having noneof it, what a stubborn wee soldier he is

Anyone got any coat supplier suggestions, does anyone who makes affordable but nice coats?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Drizabone make lovely warm lined oilskin dog coats. Don't know if there is a UK supplier. Try typing Drizabone dog into Google.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 10:07 AM
hi mc

Fern - or should I say his Majesty !! LOL
check out canine spirit they do range of coats, also try pet planet, but if you want one asap then you could try pets at home as they now have quite a large range of coats in stock

dani
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 10:19 AM
GSD's really should not need a coat as they should have a woolly undercoat and a waterproof guard coat. As he is only a puppy you will need to dry him until he gets a full adult coat but I would not advise a coat for any working type dog as it could stop the correct coat developing. The fact that your heating is not very efficient is an advantage as dogs kept in cold or cool conditions always seem to grow better coats, I am talking of double coated breeds I do not think the same would apply to a smooth coat like a Whippet or a Boxer but I don’t know never having owned a short or single coated dog.

Sorry just re-read you post and I have not answered your question, would suggest that you wait if you can and if he still needs a coat when he is fully grown then purchasing from a place where you can try it will make sure it fits properly, there are waxed coats available they would be better suited to a breed such as yours.
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi
Try "weathertogs"
They are excellent and made a lovely made to measure waxed jacket for my greyhound. It was a good price and excellent quality and fit. Worth a look for sure
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 11:02 AM
I thought that myself but he's just not going anywhere where its cold, we thought it would have toughened up by now but its not, he won't go on grass, he won't sit on the wooden floors, he tries to stand on towels blankets and rugs - he'll do anything to avoid it.

I want to use it so we can get him outdoors when the bad weather hits, I just know he won't budge when it starts snowing, and I'm not going to have him urinate in the house over it because I believe this will be the next step in his behaviour.

Excellent thought on the oilskin jacket, just the ticket I think

Thanks for your thoughts.

Originally Posted by Thordell
GSD's really should not need a coat as they should have a woolly undercoat and a waterproof guard coat. As he is only a puppy you will need to dry him until he gets a full adult coat but I would not advise a coat for any working type dog as it could stop the correct coat developing. The fact that your heating is not very efficient is an advantage as dogs kept in cold or cool conditions always seem to grow better coats, I am talking of double coated breeds I do not think the same would apply to a smooth coat like a Whippet or a Boxer but I don’t know never having owned a short or single coated dog.

Sorry just re-read you post and I have not answered your question, would suggest that you wait if you can and if he still needs a coat when he is fully grown then purchasing from a place where you can try it will make sure it fits properly, there are waxed coats available they would be better suited to a breed such as yours.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Brun, appreciate it

x

Originally Posted by Brundog
hi mc

Fern - or should I say his Majesty !! LOL
check out canine spirit they do range of coats, also try pet planet, but if you want one asap then you could try pets at home as they now have quite a large range of coats in stock

dani
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2005, 11:09 AM
They look lovely SB, found a couple UK suppliers but not in the right size, that's okay though it's given me food for thought

Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Drizabone make lovely warm lined oilskin dog coats. Don't know if there is a UK supplier. Try typing Drizabone dog into Google.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >