Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
"I also use my own shampoo. Baby shampoo is good."
OOps messed up the quote facility but it's back there somewhere...
EEK!People shampoo is not good!!!

Dunno about baby shampoo but I wouldn't risk that either.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
"I also use my own shampoo. Baby shampoo is good."
OOps messed up the quote facility but it's back there somewhere...
EEK!People shampoo is not good!!!

Dunno about baby shampoo but I wouldn't risk that either.
I always use human/ baby shampoo and never had a problem but I don't wash my dogs regally only when they really need it
ATD x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I only bath mine when they get caked in poo or dead things they have rolled in. Sometimes I can get away with just doing the neck area, othertimes they'll get it all over them and require full bathing. Recently, it seems like every other walk they get covered in something disgusting, like they have TWICE today on both walks.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I started using baby shampoo on the advice of my vet, he said if it's good enough for babies it's good enough for dogs.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by miz66 View Post
I started using baby shampoo on the advice of my vet, he said if it's good enough for babies it's good enough for dogs.
Fair enough but adult human shampoo for dogs is something I've been warned against since the first time I put a dog in a tub.Can't remember the details but I recall it can cause skin irritation.
Where's the trouble with buying a dog shampoo?
When it comes to advice on canine care I ask a doggy person.When it comes to health I ask a vet.I've found too many of them clueless about the fine details unless they're big time dog keepers.I caught a (former!) vet of mine trying to give a piece of chocolate big enough to kill him to a young terrier pup of mine for 'being brave about his vacc shot!'
No insult intended to your vet,I don't know about baby shampoo for dogs as I said.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Fair enough but adult human shampoo for dogs is something I've been warned against since the first time I put a dog in a tub.Can't remember the details but I recall it can cause skin irritation.
Where's the trouble with buying a dog shampoo?
When it comes to advice on canine care I ask a doggy person.When it comes to health I ask a vet.I've found too many of them clueless about the fine details unless they're big time dog keepers.I caught a (former!) vet of mine trying to give a piece of chocolate big enough to kill him to a young terrier pup of mine for 'being brave about his vacc shot!'
No insult intended to your vet,I don't know about baby shampoo for dogs as I said.
This was for my Yorkie who's now passed away she had a dry scalp and because she was clipped regular my vet suggested a mild baby shampoo. Her groomer who's also my friend agreed and it helped her sooth her skin.
My Chi doesn't have any skin problems but I still use the mild baby shampoo on him.
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Once or twice a week usually for mine. Can sometimes get away with every 2-3 weeks for one but no usually.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Isla used to get bathed about once a month when I showed her. She hasn't been shown for about 2 years.

Oscar will be 2 in May and has never been bathed in his life!

Although I'm not one to bath my dogs, I do have to say that with 2 years without bathing they've both developed that horrible feeling of me having black hands after stroking them. Surely a bath in this situation would be good for them?!
hopkinss12
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2011, 08:59 AM
My two labs get shampoo'd only when they have been rolling in something disgusting. They've been done perhaps twice a year, but they do get hosed down underneath (with the shower setting on the nozzle) when we get back from a walk and then towelled down.
One thing I have noticed, when they're wet from the hose or from swimming, they both dry very quickly. When they've been shampoo'd, they take hours to dry. This is obviously because the oil that keeps their coat waterproof is stripped out. In this case I make sure that they don't have the opportunity to go swimming for a couple of days till the oil is replaced.
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Once to twice a week for one of mine and once every week to two weeks for the other one.

Hard work but worth it
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >