register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

13-03-2005, 04:23 AM
I very much doubt you would get a Vet to perform the operation.

Like declawing on a cat it is unnecessary and barbaric. I always think as a behaviourist something can be done with obsessive barkers rather than drastic surgery.

Stan
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 11:16 AM

Theres quite a few people i think could do with this procedure though
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

13-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Lel

Theres quite a few people i think could do with this procedure though
I can think of a few myself Lel

Stan
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Debarking your dog...another alterative

I understand some people are now using antidepressants like Prozac a mind altering drug to keep their dogs quiet while they are at work.Could it be that the multinational drug companies have received so much adverse publicity with regards to humans using this drug, they are now targeting the canine world?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/256487.stm
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

13-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Debarking your dog...another alterative

I understand some people are now using antidepressants like Prozac a mind altering drug to keep their dogs quiet while they are at work.Could it be that the multinational drug companies have received so much adverse publicity with regards to humans using this drug, they are now targeting the canine world?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/256487.stm
Prozac is only normally prescribed in cases of acute depression in dogs, part of that depression can manifest itself in what is commonly called "Separation Anxiety" It would be wrong to recommend this drug for just Separation problems. I very occasionally recommend it but only in acute fear related or depressive behaviours and that would be a tapered treatment not long term.

I cannot of course prescript for this only a Vet can do that, therefore I work closely with all my local Vets.

I would much prefer homoeopathic and pheromone based treatments as an aid for Separation and most other forms of anxiety.

Stan
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 12:28 PM
well I I can say is - if you dont want to hear barking - dont get a dog !!

Bruno doesnt bark a lot - but when he does its for a reason. Interestingly I was watching the agility dogs on crufts - alot of them were barking all the way through their run - and I dont think it was to say " I dont b****y want to do this - It was - wow this is great fun"

these people should go and get themselves fishg as pets or something - they dont deserve dogs IMO

dani
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Eh i've never heard of anything so barbaric. Dogs bark ,people talk.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Doglistener
Prozac is only normally prescribed in cases of acute depression in dogs, part of that depression can manifest itself in what is commonly called "Separation Anxiety" It would be wrong to recommend this drug for just Separation problems. I very occasionally recommend it but only in acute fear related or depressive behaviours and that would be a tapered treatment not long term. I cannot of course prescript for this only a Vet can do that, therefore I work closely with all my local Vets.
I would much prefer homoeopathic and pheromone based treatments as an aid for Separation and most other forms of anxiety.Stan
Hello Stan would you mind if I asked you of the clients to whom you recommended the use of fluoxetine (prozac) what changes in behaviour or contraindications did you observe? As the Department of health does not recommend its use for humans under the age of 18 (taking into account the size of dogs) and having observed a number of 'human' clients for whom a similar drug had dire consequences, I would be interested in finding out in your experience what effect these drugs have on dogs.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Yep Mini, I'd like to know the same.

As I was prescribes antidepressants (not prozac, but another SSRI) when I was around 15/16. I didn't like them at all and stopped after a couple of months. I know people who do well on SSRI's but have also known (and known OF) a few to have extremely worrying effects re more depression uncontrollable anger and even suicidal behaviour.. For this reason I wouldn't consider giving my dog prozac for any reason whatsoever, as I have found alternative ways to deal with my ongoing depression and believe I could use the same methods on a dog
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2005, 07:12 PM
The human has altered almost everything else canine, does this really surprise you. IT'S SAD.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >