Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2014, 11:14 AM

What's the best veg

my jakes loves boccie . I was wondering what's the best veg for vitamins .i make his food brown or white rice boiled fish or cooked beef, and boccie.
I no egg whites are very good for the coat.
I guess what I'm asking is does veg give them the same vitamins it give us.
Even though I've had dogs for well over 26 years I've never made my own food like I do now.so I'd really like to learn from ppl here that have been doing this for years.xxxx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2014, 11:33 AM
A rough BARF guide will give you details of what vitamins and minerals are in which vegetables.

My dog loves all vegetables [including salad vegetables]. I either very lightly steam them or grate/chop finely and she has them raw. I do not cook her meat or fish - she has those raw.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure on raw , not with little one as jake does sometime try to kiss her,but the. Raw anything freaks me out , I mean meat not veg lol
Wow salad didn't no a dog would eat that, il give that one a go thanks
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Pereg was watching me prepare some salad one day and I offered her one of the outside lettuce leaves that I was thinking of discarding - and she ate it! So things like that - the peel of kohlrabi [scrubbed first] - cucumber ends etc - I chop up fine and add to her meals. I am also given cucumbers and sweet peppers [and other vegetables and fruit] from the little shop across the road if there is any when he gets fresh in, and it all goes into the processor for chopping.

She likes whole kohlrabi, cucumbers and sweet peppers [minus the seeds] as treats as well.

I am not bothered about raw meat as she is not a licky/kissy dog though!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2014, 01:20 PM
I feed mine on a home cooked diet of meat, poultry, fish mixed with a selection of chopped, lightly cooked vegetables.

Because its winter here the selection will most likely consist of ... carrots, parsnips, turnips, root celery, kohlrabi, green beans, broccoli, spinach and apples. In summer the mix will be slightly different. The only veggies I never give them are onions (toxic for dogs) or cabbage (makes my Pei fart) or sweet corn which is bad for Pei but fine for most other breeds.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Packs of frozen vegetables are very useful - I just put some in a container to defrost overnight in the refrigerator and add to Pereg's meal without any further cooking [I get large catering packs].

She will also be having some raw beansprouts and alfalfa sprouts today as I have two fresh packs.

As chlosmum said, never give onions, but apart from that I do not think there is any vegetable Pereg will not eat.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Nods ty I shall have fun trying all diffrent things for jake. I knew about onions and dark chocolate ,also garlic very bad for them to.we its in the onions family .im going to make a big stew tomorrow so guess jakes getting it to.