View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:48 AM
i think it comes across benmcf that u feel u are above people because u rescue,im sure that u dont mean to come across that way...but u do.

i dont think people should be made to feel bad that they paid for a dog.... its their choice...as it is your choice too
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Because to me I did not BUY a dog
I gave the suggested donation
as I have already said he belongs to Dogs Trust so it is not possible that I bought him
I made a simple comment that I would be unlikely to buy a dog - it was YOU guys that jumped on that and attempted to justify your beliefs that I have bought a dog
I do not agree with those beliefs - why is that such a big deal to you, are your beliefs so shakey that you need everyone to agree with them to validate you?
It does not make me 'feel better' it is simply the facts. As already said in the eyes of the law it was a donation - thats good enough proof for me
I try not to put words into the mouths of others or jump to conclusions (although I realise that is the only exercise some people get) and have to wonder why you are so defensive?

So I cannot and will not speak for others, I will leave that to you.

However it matters not to me where anyone gets their dog from, that is their choice and we live in a democracy.

there is nothing BETTER or WORSE about obtaining a dog from a breeder or a charity.

I do not BELIEVE you have bought a dog, this is not a matter of FAITH, the FACT that you have PAID for a dog means you have purchased it or, in your case leased/rented or hired it.

Money has been paid to a charity in return for which you have received a dog. This is a fact, not a belief, an assumption, or fantasy.

Why do you think there is anything the matter with those who challenge your point of view?

I do not need anything to validate my views in this particular case other than the facts, which you have supplied.

You can continue to "believe" that you have not "bought" a dog, that is your prerogative but it also does not preclude you from being "mistaken".

There are lots of people who attend X Factor auditions under the illusion of having some talent. I applaud their belief, but the facts remain that most do not.

Your dog was not a gift.
Your dog is not actually even yours.
Your dog belongs to the charity and you are merely its keeper.

And this could in the future impact on you, the dog and the charity if legislation is changed.

But it does not bother me if you do not "believe" this, they are the facts.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Being a sucker for scruffy terriers/ Lurchers papers don't exist. Would want to see at least the mother though.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I would be unlikely to buy at all - most likely to rescue
But if I was going to buy I would be so concerened about puppy farmers that I would spend a VERY long time finding a good breeder
registered/unregistered - hmm well it depends on the breed I guess, if I knew the breeder and knew they were not hiding multiple litters then I dont really care about papers
For example friends of mine have a collie from a hill farmer, they could have paid the extra for him to drive into town and register the litter - but they didnt care either way about it
we know the farmer and the landowner pretty well from visiting and holidaying several times a year for a few years

The reasons why the dog was bred (he needed a new working dog) the health and temprament were more important than a bit of paper

Drive into town to register a litter ????? All ISDS dogs can be registered by post no visit to anywhere needed-except for a post box of course

Health ??? No pedigree or health test results I presume ? If the breeder doesn't bother to register the odds are they don't bother to health test either !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Yup there were eye checked.......................

How do you know did you see a current eye certificate from a BVA panelist ???
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:57 AM
well on the charity books it is called a donation
Ben is never 'mine' he always belongs to Dogs trust and my donation was said to be to help future dogs................
If you have given money for any reason to the DT then no matter what you sign, you are his owner
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 11:57 AM
well I think in reality you should take your comments up with the Dogs Trust, they are their policies and if you feel that they are wrong then perhaps you should convince them that they need to change their policies

I do not think I should take my comments up with the DT, and I think you will find that nowhere in any of my posts have I commented on whether their policies are right or wrong. It is a matter of complete indifference to me.

It matters not to me if they change their policies or not, it will never affect me.

Seriously I would have though people would have agreed with the idea that a dog rescue takes responibility for the full lifetime of the dog and dosent just forget about them once they find them a home
is that not what you expect a good breeder to do

But we are not discussing whether or not a charity should take lifetime responsibility for a dog are we?

anyways, im done with your childish bickering.
I paid a donation to adopt my dog
thats what is there in black and white - take it up with dogs trust if you have an issue with it
I am afraid if any bickering is taking place it needs at least two parties to do so!

Or are your posts not childish or bickering?

As someone who purports to aim to be a member of the APDT it might behoove you to read about Kelly's Theory of Personal Constructs; it can be very useful when dealing with clients and, of course, how to put your point across to others!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Dont see why microchipping laws would change a thing, Dogs Trust chip ALL their dogs

and basically the reason dogs trust do it the way they do is that they are taking responsibility for a dog for its whole life, if I die or can no longer look after Ben they have commited to always take him back.
The microchip doesn't prove ownership of anything other than the chip-surely you know that by now
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Drive into town to register a litter ????? All ISDS dogs can be registered by post no visit to anywhere needed-except for a post box of course

Health ??? No pedigree or health test results I presume ? If the breeder doesn't bother to register the odds are they don't bother to health test either !
the town has the post box - hes a hill farmer a 30 mile drive from anything - a 15 min drive to get off the single track roads
and you presume wrong, I have no idea what you mean by pedigree tests but both the dogs are registered isds dogs and the bitch compeated well but he gave it up because he was too busy with his sheep
noone getting a dog from the litter was bothered about papers, they know the parents and knew the farmer and new the health tests - that was enough for them
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I fail too see anywhere where i have ever said I think I or my dogs are 'better' than anyone elses dogs
I have just said that where I got them was my choice
and many times I have had to defend why they are not WORSE
I have no issue with anyones dogs
as for being defensive - nope I was just trying to explain myself when other people felt the need to attempt to push their beliefs on me
I have not bought a dog
other people believe differently - me explaining my standpoint is not defensive it is simply explaining

and to be defensive the others would have to be attacking - do you feel that is the case? or is it OK for them to jump on my post about me NOT paying for a dog but not for me to then explain what I ment?
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »