Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Puppies & choke-chains and extra-old dogs

Just a little verbal "snap-shot" of our walks today.....

Had quite nice walks today (for a change!) and met some nice dogs and owners.

This morning met a Black Lab puppy who looked about 4 or 5 months. I asked owner if he wanted to meet Cherry and Parker and they had a little meet and greet. I then noticed his puppy had a full choke-chain on and he had it fitted the wrong way round.

Had a word with him about how it should be fitted so checks and not chokes and hopefully he understood. I was a bit surprised to see a choke-chain on a puppy and mentioned about how they were a bit "old school" and had he considered a harness as choke-chains may cause neck injuries. I hope I wasn't being bossy (I tried not to come over like this but friendly and helpful I hope) but his puppy was a typical Lab puppy and charging all over the place with this type of collar on wasn't ideal I thought (especially as it was fitted the wrong way round!)

We then met a Westie called Heidi and had a chat with the owner, an older gentleman. Cherry really likes Westies so she had a little sniff and her tail was wagging very hard whilst the man patted her. He mentioned he was carrying a stick as he was concerned about dog attacks.

The last dog and owner we met was an older lady with a veteran Jack Russell-he was 19 and a half! His back was shaved partly and the lady said he had been attacked by a Rottweiller The owner of the Rottweiller had said to this lady that it was her fault because she had her dog on a lead! I thought that sounds familiar. She wouldn't give the JRT owner her name and address either so this poor lady had to pay the vet bills herself.
I offered her one of my home-made tuna dog treats to give her dog and he liked it.

I think that is the oldest dog I have ever met and he looked "reasonable" for such an incredible age.

Sorry I should have some piccies to put on but I didn't take my camera out with me today. Will try tomorrow and see if I can take some snaps of Cherry, Parker and friends.