View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Hi Adam I really don't see the point in having these tests done just to try to determine the mix which went into the parentage of a pet.

For me it is pointless because a dog can inherit the looks of one breed and the characteristics of another, or a mix of more than one breed . So what is gained, you are not going learn much about your dog except perhaps the possibility of inheriting a number of medical conditions or maybe none.

If I had a cross/mixed breed I would accept and enjoy it as an individual dog and forget about possible parentage.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 07:40 PM
I agree Meg and what is the point AFTER you've taken the dog on in then finding out what possibilities might lurk regarding medical conditions they might succumb to? Some never do anyway.

If it was being used as a reliable indicator BEFORE taking on a dog it might make more sense to me.

I'm a bit surprised at just how many threads we get started by people who've just bought or rescued a dog and who then want to know what breeds people think might 'be in it'. After the event. What difference will it make to know?

I have my doubts about Bella but just joke about it. No way do I need confirmation or otherwise. Won't change her and won't change me or how I feel about her and treat her.

*I mean for starters the 'rat catching' genetic bit is definitely absent in the little ginger menace lol!
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Adam I really don't see the point in having these tests done just to try to determine the mix which went into the parentage of a pet.

For me it is pointless because a dog can inherit the looks of one breed and the characteristics of another, or a mix of more than one breed . So what is gained, you are not going learn much about your dog except perhaps the possibility of inheriting a number of medical conditions or maybe none.

If I had a cross/mixed breed I would accept and enjoy it as an individual dog and forget about possible parentage.
I agree, I couldn't care less what breeds she is I was just curious
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2014, 07:23 PM
I did DNA test on my two didn't care what they were but I knew Ty was mainly staffie and must say I was impressed as the results came back just as we expected I was sceptical but would def do it on any other dogs I have over the years just out of curiosity
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2