View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2014, 12:40 AM
I don't know about anything else, but I find the attitudes of some rescue people leave a lot to be desired. I was practically chased off a popular rescue forum for even daring to mention I wanted to buy a well bred puppy from a responsible breeder. I was deeply offended by some of the replies there from "you must only love your dogs if they're winning you stuff" ( in reference to me wanting to work/show my next dog ) to asking personal questions as to how I support rescue and what my motivation was and lots of just very sarcastic and rude responses. In that sense I can't see at all how they are positively encouraging rescue as a whole. You want a purebred puppy? Well you can't possibly support recue too! Which is ludicrous. Why can't you support both? So in that respect they're actually making people like me run for the hills, rather then stick around and want to learn more. Thankfully I'm not stupid enough to believe ALL people in rescue are like this, but it was a real eye opener for me as to the attitudes of some. I certainly would never want to rescue and deal with people like that!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 10:54 AM
The rescue I got Nigredo from made me jump through some serious hoops to get him. They made me agree to like 1044587604 things before they would let me have him. It was some garbage, omg.

We can't build a fence (the terrain doesn't allow it, nobody can build one), and they didn't really like that... so that was an issue at first. They came and checked over our yard and whatnot and they agreed that he would have space to run about if I could keep him from running away, which I assured them I could.

They complained about some junk laying about and our house being a bit cluttered, and they didn't like Jade but they let it go with my assurance and the promise that they'd be back to check on things.

They then made me have to give him every vaccine on the friggin planet and go to THEIR vet... who proceeded to overcharge me for a Lepto vaccine. they handed him over already neutered and fully healed at only 3 months TOO EARLY!

We agreed to never keep him outside, to never fight him (who the hell fights a Lab mix??), and they also told us to keep his diet free of "raw animal protein" which I actually ignored that bit because it's absurd.

We also are subjected to up to two random house checks per year, and have to fork over vet records if we leave them reason to be suspicious of a violation of contract. We also agreed to give him back to THAT shelter if we ever decided we didn't want him.

We also had to agree that any behavioral issues or health issues were our fault and responsibility and were in no way connected to the shelter or it's employees. Bunch of other indemnification garbage.

Which was B.S. because the early neutering they did (for no reason) actually caused a few behavior issues at first and probably linked to his weak hip, even though he is a fine, and healthy dog.

I mean the contract was insane. The place was very well put together but the puppy sanctuary was full of puppies. It almost seemed as if they don't want people to adopt the dogs! If it wasn't love at first sight when I saw my little guy, I'd have been OUT of there in a heartbeat!

So I have mixed opinions on rescues. I think they are trying to do a good thing, but seriously I understand why that place was so loaded. Nobody has time to deal with all that crap to adopt a dog.

I did what they asked (sans the no raw food ever) and it isn't a HUGE deal... but it was too much to go through. He is an excellent dog with wonderful manners and they were VERY happy to see him when I brought him back.

I am very happy I adopted him, but if they truly want the dogs to go to homes, they need to take it easy. I don't think that most people are willing to deal with all that.

I mean the woman made me sit through a long interview telling me things about dogs that I already know and just acting as if I was extremely stupid. Didn't like it, thought it was overkill.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Pedigree dog does not equal responsible breeders.

Anyone can breed pedigrees, plenty of FP/BYB do ,

The clue is in the "responsible" a responsible breeder will take a dog back at any time in its life, an irresponsible one wont.

Banning the breeding of ALL dogs for a period of time is not going to fix any situation, all that will do is stop the responsible from breeding responsibly...
Over here where I live... that clause that most "ethical" breeders put into their contracts is simply mimicked by questionable/poor breeders.

They will take the dog back if you want to give it back (which rarely happens anyway)... but they will send it to the pound or sell it off to someone else randomly.

How easy it is to make themselves look more like "legitimate" breeders. That being said, that isn't what makes a responsible breeder at all IMO.

To me, a responsible breeder is the one that isn't able to make a fortune off of their litters after all is said and done.

If all the proper health testing is done and all the proper registrations are done on the puppies, and the breeder doesn't over breed... then they should make very little money off of the puppies.

When people are able to get rich off of their dog breeding programs, or when you see kennels loaded with dogs... I always smell something VERY off because it should hardly be possible to make tons and kennels loaded with dogs resemble puppy farms.

I don't support breeding at all and I don't and won't buy dogs from breeders, but that is where I stand on the issue of ethical breeders.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
I don't know about anything else, but I find the attitudes of some rescue people leave a lot to be desired. I was practically chased off a popular rescue forum for even daring to mention I wanted to buy a well bred puppy from a responsible breeder. I was deeply offended by some of the replies there from "you must only love your dogs if they're winning you stuff" ( in reference to me wanting to work/show my next dog ) to asking personal questions as to how I support rescue and what my motivation was and lots of just very sarcastic and rude responses. In that sense I can't see at all how they are positively encouraging rescue as a whole. You want a purebred puppy? Well you can't possibly support recue too! Which is ludicrous. Why can't you support both? So in that respect they're actually making people like me run for the hills, rather then stick around and want to learn more. Thankfully I'm not stupid enough to believe ALL people in rescue are like this, but it was a real eye opener for me as to the attitudes of some. I certainly would never want to rescue and deal with people like that!
There are many 'breed rescues' as far as I know where you can get pedigree dogs. But I agree with you entirely. People should be able to buy the dog of the breed of their choice if that's what they want. I've helped and worked for years with sanctuaries and shelters but when it came to me getting my last two dogs I knew what I wanted exactly (to fit in with my family, lifestyle and living conditions at the time) and that's what I got in both cases.

This time round (in the 2yrs I waited before getting another dog) I was being asked to 'foster' (because shelters are overfull) and did consider it but I just KNEW I would end up keeping the first mutt they dumped on me coz I'd feel so sorry for it. So I wouldn't even visit the rescues as often as I usually did until I got the dog I wanted.

I do think some rescues have gone a bit overboard with their strict rules for would be new homes. Like the rules about no more than 4hrs out working - lots of dogs would be happy to be left a bit longer than that - especially if older or more sedate dogs. So as a blanket rule in some rescues I think that's plain daft (even tho I don't like leaving my own dog long!) I have left her for up to 5hrs and do leave her for 2, 3 or 4 about once a week when getting all my shopping and other stuff done.

But I know what you mean about the 'attitude' that comes across in some venues. I feel the same about the 'attitude' that comes across re total raw feeding sometimes.

But I don't like too much over regulation of any area of my life. And do not want to live in a 'nanny state' ever - where someone else makes all the decisions for me.
ACDdragoness
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I have been rejected by a collie rescue because I didn't have enough history with my vet as they put it, apparently my vet didn't "see" my dogs often enough :/ they were only in for annuals unless they were ill ... Which they never were.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by ACDdragoness View Post
I have been rejected by a collie rescue because I didn't have enough history with my vet as they put it, apparently my vet didn't "see" my dogs often enough :/ they were only in for annuals unless they were ill ... Which they never were.
That's ridiculous in my opinion. Using that logic, someone who wasn't taking very good care of their dog resulting in maybe gastric probs or accidents and having to visit the vet for remedies and treatment would pass muster easier than someone like me whose dog is never ill

Last time mine saw vet for other than vaccs was for an ingrown hair on her back more than year ago. Only other small problem was a weepy eye for a couple of days treated with bathing certainly didn't need vet.

I had a cat for over 16 yrs who once vaccinated and spayed only saw a vet once to have teeth descaled when she was about 12. I never did annual boosters for my cats.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by ACDdragoness View Post
Your dogs only need to see a vet once a year in normal cases. Not sure what else they were looking for? I don't take my dogs to the vet all the time. Once or twice a year maximum.

If we didn't have to get the rabies vaccine, they would probably go even less than that since I don't give them all those other crappy vaccinations.

The pup can get the 3 year, so hopefully will do that this year and be done with the rabies for quite some time.

Since the oldie has to have some very old tumors checked up on every now and then, stick with the yearly for her.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2014, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=mjfromga;2789923]Over here where I live... that clause that most "ethical" breeders put into their contracts is simply mimicked by questionable/poor breeders.

They will take the dog back if you want to give it back (which rarely happens anyway)... but they will send it to the pound or sell it off to someone else randomly.

How easy it is to make themselves look more like "legitimate" breeders. That being said, that isn't what makes a responsible breeder at all IMO.

To me, a responsible breeder is the one that isn't able to make a fortune off of their litters after all is said and done.

If all the proper health testing is done and all the proper registrations are done on the puppies, and the breeder doesn't over breed... then they should make very little money off of the puppies.

When people are able to get rich off of their dog breeding programs, or when you see kennels loaded with dogs... I always smell something VERY off because it should hardly be possible to make tons and kennels loaded with dogs resemble puppy farms.

I don't support breeding at all and I don't and won't buy dogs from breeders, but that is where I stand on the issue of ethical breeders.[/QUOTE]

Yet you have two dogs from rescue, where do you think those dogs came from

Such statements always make me wonder if you understand how the dogs you have actually ended up in rescue. someone bred them and discarded them.

THEY WERE BRED BY A BREEDER............ yet you say you don't support breeders, YES YOU DO, your dogs ended up in rescue due to someone breeding them.

You have a very strong opinion on ethical breeders, and breeding in general, yet you are taking on dogs that have been bred by the very people you disprove of.

A breeder is someone who breeds a litter of pups, you only have to bred one litter to be a breeder, just as a parent only has to have one child to be a parent.

I have no problem with people taking in rescues , its commendable , but I do wish people wpild stop with the .....I`d never support breeders and so on. because without that breeder you would not have your beloved pet.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Have to say I agree Jackie. Sometimes seems to me that on here 'breeders' are categorised very strictly - some breeding because they want to keep one pup. Others selflessly to improve the breed even though they want no pups and say they will lose money doing it. There must be at least some who breed to make money - but I don't see that much.

I've never wanted to breed from any dog I've owned. Even those with impeccable pedigrees. I got the dog I wanted I am not interested in how many people say they would love one of their pups. Or how easy it would be to find homes for them all. I think there are enough dogs to go round as it is. One way to make sure you never breed is to have your dog neutered. So that's what I do. So I will never be able to be classed as any sort of breeder.

Even if your dog has an 'accidental' mating with next door's mutt - both of you still end up being in the classification of 'breeder' in my view.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Have to say I agree Jackie. Sometimes seems to me that on here 'breeders' are categorised very strictly - some breeding because they want to keep one pup. Others selflessly to improve the breed even though they want no pups and say they will lose money doing it. There must be at least some who breed to make money - but I don't see that much.

I've never wanted to breed from any dog I've owned. Even those with impeccable pedigrees. I got the dog I wanted I am not interested in how many people say they would love one of their pups. Or how easy it would be to find homes for them all. I think there are enough dogs to go round as it is. One way to make sure you never breed is to have your dog neutered. So that's what I do. So I will never be able to be classed as any sort of breeder.

Even if your dog has an 'accidental' mating with next door's mutt - both of you still end up being in the classification of 'breeder' in my view.
Agree, then those pups will be sold or if they cant sell them they will put them in rescue to be sold from there, the new owner comes along them spouts the inevitable "I would never support breeder" ....guess what you just did .

I think its a choice for us all to get our dogs from where ever we want, rescue or breeder, its down to you, but please don't them throw out the ....... I hate breeders and would never support them , because you just have , it might be second or third hand, but if that breeder did not breed that litter , you dog would not be in rescue,

Most dogs in rescue are bred by PF /BYB or unethical breeders, yet those are the very breeders some seem to dislike and withdraw support from the most
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >