View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
The Orijen dog foods have to be some of the best I have ever encountered. Very high meat contents (not rubbish) and all natural.
The fish one has over 70% meat, All fresh caught fish. I believe the meat one is pretty similar in quality and quantity.
Its got to be one of the best as it has just been made rated best pet food for the 2nd year running.

It does come with a very hefty price tag mind... Not sure what the closest alternative would be. Possibly fish 4 dogs?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I've sworn by Arden Grange for the past two years! My dog was raised on bakers (until 3 years ago). For one year she was on James Wellbeloved which has now been taken over by pedigree. JWB was too expensive so i tried AG and she loves it - even the chicken
Since she's been on AG, her stools have harden (bit too much so i give her a little wet naturediet) and her coat is completely amazing - it actually hurts my eyes in the sun and that's the black bits of her (no joke), she's nearly 10 and has started having puppy moments which she never used to have

E-mail some of the companies which people have suggested for samples and see which one your dog prefers
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Interesting to hear of the Orijen and note that your CKC spaniel likes it.

The only dry food my CKC would ever eat was Bakers.

But I was told by a vet it is quite fattening? However, I did read recently it is the most popular (widely sold) dry food.

I was asking this same question a while back. Regarding my Min Pin puppy. She didn't seem to like any of the expensive 'complete' ones. She is now very happy with Versele Lagen and I can get it here in Cyprus so I am sticking with it.

However, I've had dogs all my adult life and I found it is easy for you to get a BIG dog to eat what you want it to eat (gawd some of mine would have eaten it still in the pkt I used to say it didn't touch the sides on the way down) but not so easy with smaller, fussier breeds - some of those would rather go on hunger strike and just stare you down!
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2010, 09:08 AM
All four of mine eat fis4dogs even the fussy one will eat it no problem.
They all seem to do really well on it my Inuit used to get a runny bum every couple of weeks for no reason and since F4D he no longer gets this.
bigdogworld
New Member!
Male 

23-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Some good recommendations here.

Anything byRoyal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange, Fish4Dogs or Burns will be WAY better than Bakers for your dog.

Neil.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Skinners is a good brand as well or CSJ
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 03:36 PM
ours have been on wainwrights, they are now on autarky and doning really well, its relatively cheap too.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 03:51 PM
My recommendation is Arden Grange. All my five plus one cat are on it. If you join the breeder club you get it VAT free (minimum 2 dogs). CSJ is good but found the puppy food too rich (gave them the squits) and have heard others say that too.
Maxandskye
New Member!
Female 

23-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
My recommendation is Arden Grange. All my five plus one cat are on it. If you join the breeder club you get it VAT free (minimum 2 dogs). CSJ is good but found the puppy food too rich (gave them the squits) and have heard others say that too.

Do you have to have your own kennel club affix to join the breeders club ( Arden Grange )?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Maxandskye View Post
Do you have to have your own kennel club affix to join the breeders club ( Arden Grange )?
No, you don't actually have to be a breeder.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >