Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Filling a dog-shaped hole in your life.

Hi - been a bit sad this week because a close friend had a dreadful shock when her soul-mate dog died unexpectedly and suddenly from no apparent cause. The same happened to me last year when my last GSD died suddenly when apparently recovering from a mystery infection.
My friend is obviously distraught and feels she has a dog-shaped hole in her life so has already started looking for a dog to rehome. I remember doing this when I lost mine - I just couldn`t bear to be without a Shepherd - I`d had one all my adult life and it just felt `wrong`. I had Daisy within a fortnight. She was never a replacement - each dog is totally different but she was a great comfort. Would you get another dog when yours passes on?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Most definately, we'd only had Ralph a few weeks and already had Florrie when we lost our old girl however if we hadn't I most definately would have gotten another straight away.
I couldn't cope not having a dog about, i've had them around my since the day I was brought back from the hospital!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I did, my Patch's passing was expected and I got a puppy 3 weeks later. I still Miss my old boy though Len hasn't taken his place as he's a totally different character.. I still have a tear about my Patchy 19 months on and so do my children.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't know what I'll do when Eddy passes on. It's hard to decide and it's not something I like to think about, but I know it won't be that much longer. (hopefully another 3 years but that would make him very old!)

There are a lot of factors to consider...
How Takara's doing, my health, where I am living (major factor), how much time I have etc. etc.

I would want another pup for my next dog, I know it's selfish, but I would.
I couldn't have another while I'm living with my mum, I could only have another if I had the time to devote to two lots of intensive training instead of just one and of course, if I'm regularly in and out of hospital, it's one thing asking someone to look after one dog, something different to ask them to look after two.

It's also much easier to visit people with only one dog and with only one, you don't feel you're leaving one out if you take one to town or something.

So all in all, I'm really not sure. Selfishly - yes I'd definitely fill the hole but in reality it would depend on the circumstances.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Bobbi died 3 weeks ago of Lymphoma so have taking in Zoe as a foster, it has helped me loads

Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 01:08 PM
She was beautiful hun xx
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 01:38 PM
oh yes i could not be with out doglets in my house i love watching them play and mess about and all there little charictors that they have. I could not be with out them.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Jake died last week and and i picked up Tyler yesterday morning. I know this is fast moving for many people, but i would miss having a dog around. Tyler is in no way a replacement, he could never be the same as jake. He does however fill a hole, just in a very diffrent way than Jake did.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 02:14 PM
I did,Anni died ist December 06 & a week later I took in my boy Dax. Have now had Hannah as well who is younger so I'll no longer hopeully have that feeling you get when there's no dog to greet you,& give you a reason to get up & keep living.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I did. We went looking the weekend after Kip died. Sounds awful when you say it like that but I needed something or I would have just sat and cried and moped. Didn't mean that I didn't love Kip, it just gave me something positive to focus on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >