View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Why not go for an allotment, they seem very popular, some even allow chickens, so you could get a taste of the good life on a smaller scale
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2011, 12:03 PM
The in laws live on a farm, I am currently house sitting for them actually. It's 28 acres and for the past 40 years has just been left as pasture. Once upon a time it was corn, with pigs. They had horses up to 15 years ago. Now it's just chickens and 3 dogs . it is beautiful though, and unexpected. They live 15 minutes away from me, and I live in a big town. It's great to get in from work and walk the dogs in the field. They have pheasants and deer regularly popping in to say hi. How the other half live eh?
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 12:30 PM
You need a willingness to work 365 days of the year! Oh and I used to live on a 'farm' if you could call it that, all sheep, and the you'd hear the shepherds out every day on their quads, looking after the sheep!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Oh it all sounds lovely - apart from chickens - they scare me!

Maybe I could have a goat at my house - I've been told that there used to be one years ago when the OH's family lived there... certainly would teach Louie some manners in meeting other animals
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Is farm land still getting sold off for housing and golf courses and such??
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
The farm where I am at the moment is greenbelt. When they finally sell up it will be on the condition that you cannot build any more structures, but one day i guess that will be relaxed and someone will end up very very rich!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by missy01 View Post
The farm where I am at the moment is greenbelt. When they finally sell up it will be on the condition that you cannot build any more structures, but one day i guess that will be relaxed and someone will end up very very rich!
Such a shame - why don't people visit England to enjoy it's countryside - there's so much of it and it seems unfair that it all being used for golf courses and buildings - fresh air never hurt anyone!
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Such a shame - why don't people visit England to enjoy it's countryside - there's so much of it and it seems unfair that it all being used for golf courses and buildings - fresh air never hurt anyone!
I know, there is a public footpath that goes through the top field with the most amazing views. Not many people use it, and unfortunately when it does get used people take the p*ss. I picked up 3 plastic bottles last night, and the other month someone walked their dog without a lead and it ran all the way down to the house - of course it caused a huge fuss with our dogs. When the father in law went out to confront the owner he just shrugged and walked off!!!
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Oh yes, it is around us really makes me mad, we have managed to block one developer in his tracks, but now the church have said they wiill be selling off the allotmenmts to build much needed housing, my a**e
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
My grandparents on my mother's side were farmers in Southern Ireland, so I think farming is in my blood - (the countryside and animals certainly are).

My interest in training sheepdogs led me to meet my husband, who is Farm Manager/Head Shepherd on a large hill farm in Scotland. Obviously he is employed by the landowner and so doesn't own the farm himself (unfortunately). However, his father was a farmer and he is now retiring and selling off part of his farm - land and a large barn with planning permission - to enable us to buy somewhere of our own.

However, and this is a big however, land is incredibly expensive and land with buildings is extortionately expensive. We could have converted my FIL's barn ourselves and farmed down there, but it is in Saddleworth, and neither of us really wants to move back below the border. So, the most feasible option for us is to continue working as we are (there is a lot of be said for a wage coming in every month), and buy a small hill farm or smallholding and so at least we have somewhere to retire to (eventually) and somewhere to keep FIL's pedigree Swaledale and Suffolk flocks that he can't bear to part with.

To start a farm from scratch you would need an awful lot of money and the realisation that you would not make an awful lot. The job is 365 days a year - my hubby never takes a day's holiday - it is a lifestyle, not a job.

Obviously farming (and all the current legislation and paperwork now required) requires knowledge and experience. To keep livestock you need knowledge and experience.

It is definitely not an easy way to make a living, but I don't know any farmer who would have chosen a different career path had they had the option.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >