Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lunas_Mama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:35 PM

How to stop my pup from nipping feet?

Just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on how to stop my little girl (chocolate lab/ huskey mix) from nipping at my feet when i walk? She seems to always wanna go after my slippers or the bottom of my pant legs. Its frusterating and i dont wanna step on her or hurt her in anyway. Those puppy teeth are sharp when she gets at the skin. I tell her No! and Bad! and she'll stop for a few minutes but then she starts again.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
When my pup does that I get her a toy and try to distract her that way . It usually works !
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lunas_Mama View Post
Just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on how to stop my little girl (chocolate lab/ huskey mix) from nipping at my feet when i walk? She seems to always wanna go after my slippers or the bottom of my pant legs. Its frusterating and i dont wanna step on her or hurt her in anyway. Those puppy teeth are sharp when she gets at the skin. I tell her No! and Bad! and she'll stop for a few minutes but then she starts again.
This sounds exactly like Monty lol! how old is she??

Monty is 4months old now and seems to have grown out of it - he only does it on some occasions now!! so she is most likely to grow out of it!

When Monty used to do it I told him no like you, but then also distracted him with a toy to show him what he could bite etc!! I am now teaching him the leave it command so am trying to incorporate that!!

I know how annoying it is, good luck, I am sure other people will give some more advice! Just wanted to let u know it got better for us!
Lunas_Mama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Lunas about 8 weeks old now, ive tried to give her her toys i do that when she trys nipping at my hands or anything else to, so that she knows its the toys she can chew not me lol. But it hasnt worked. No! works best for her when it comes to hands but feet, seems like nothing
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Lunas about 8 weeks old now, ive tried to give her her toys i do that when she trys nipping at my hands or anything else to, so that she knows its the toys she can chew not me lol. But it hasnt worked. No! works best for her when it comes to hands but feet, seems like nothing
mmmm..... Seeing as she is only 8 weeks I am sure she will grow out of it, in the meantime you could try a different sound aversion!? If the No isn't working you need to move on to something else, perhaps a strong Ah,Ah!! Or if this doesn't work perhaps try banging the table or clapping your hands! If one sound doesn't work you need to move onto a different one, and then keep interacting with the toys with her!!
Hopefully this helps a little, Monty is my first dog (besides family dog) so I am still learning!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi Manda this is normal puppy play behaviour. Telling her no is a waste of time and you are actually rewarding the unwanted behaviour with attention and turning it into a game .
Better to stand still/turn your back/no word no eye contact until she has calmed down then when she does bend down (to prevent jumping up ) and praise the wanted behaviour.

Puppies use their mouths all the time to explore and play, it is 'play biting' and again it is normal behaviour.

You don't really want to stop a puppy play biting straight away , if you do you will miss a valuable opportunity to teach your puppy 'bite inhibition' ,to bite evermore gently then not at all . Teaching bite inhibition ensures that as the puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should she bite for any reason (say she is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt like standing on her tail) she will have learnt never to sink her teeth into human skin.

Bite inhibition, learning to developer a 'soft mouth' is one of the most important lessons you can teach your puppy, however teaching it takes time and patience and success won't be achieved in just a few days . Also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Link to teaching bite inhibition ..click here

So to reacap for biting hands teach bite inhibition, for clothes or other parts of the body use the turning away /waiting to be calm method.

And lastly, make sure your puppy has a good selection of things to bite on . This will be particularly important as she starts teething. A frozen carrots is soothing to painful gums caused by teething . As an alternative teething aid you can knot an old cotton tea towel and moisten and freeze that for you puppy to bite on.