Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 07:43 PM

Gal bladder query

As most of you know I had my gal bladder removed by open surgery 10 days ago ,What I was wondering is how long is it before the pain subsides ,I have been told by the consultant that im not allowed to over do things for 6 weeks as I can damage my liver
But I have only been walking around and must admit the most strainess thing I have done is sit upright on my bed so I can come on line, But I have been experiencing a fair amount of pain, and have been getting pains in my right leg ,As of yet I still cannot lay flat on my bed to sleep as its very uncomfortable to still need to have my pillows in an angle where im not laying flat, I was just wondering if the pain in my right side of my ribs is normal and that if the cramps in my legs are normal , I also still dont realise that my bladder is full until its well nearly to late lets say , As I dont seem to feel my bladder becoming full
So any ideas and thoughts on this very welcomed, As I dont want to seem like a lilly ocondract by pestering my gp un neccesararly
Thanks guys xdk
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Just wanted to add though I have posted the silly pic ,Im am very serious guys, Just wanted to lighten my embarrassemnt hence the piccy L,OL, xxdk
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Awww poor you. My friend had hers done by keyhole so not the same thing at all.
Why not ring NHS direct? They are usually good for advice if you don't ant to worry your gp, but do also remember that IS what he's there for!

As for the bladder, don't do the classic thing of going before you need to as you panic.
My oldies tend to do that and then incontinence gradually catches them up as their bladders never get properly full so lose their capacity.
Did you know an empty bladder is the size of a pea?

I'm sure this will subside though DK, and theres nothing wrong with wearing a pad just in case, for peace of mind.... you'd be surprised how many people do, hence why even supermarkets do their own now.

Sorry couldn't be more help xx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks wish bone ,Im hoping its just part of the healing process xxdk
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Thanks wish bone ,Im hoping its just part of the healing process xxdk
It probably is, you've been through a lot.
Perhaps try to avoid anything that irritates the bladder too, ie caffeine.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Jackie, as your was open surgery, I think you will find that there will be a huge amount of internal bruising hun. You could just check with NHS direct, but I think this will be the case. Ask your Doctor if you can take Arnica, to bring it down. Keep smiling hun
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I know my friend had it done with keyhole surgery and she was in pain for about 2 weeks, and that type of surgery is not as bad as yours. Probably it will take a time for everything to settle down inside as well and it is probably still swollen inside. It will take time and you really do need to take it easy and give everything chance to heal. They do throw your guts about a bit when they operate. But there is no harm in ringing the NHS, just to put your mind at rest. Sending *hugs* to you.
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2008, 09:17 PM
I had mine out 14 years ago. They tried keyhole but I lost alot of blood so they opened me up anyway. Bl**dy great scar now. I was surprised how much I couldn't do. I was really sore. I suffered terrible back ache but don't remember leg pains. The scar area itself was terribly sore for about 4 weeks but then it all calmed down. I actually have a patch at the top of the scar that is completely numb now. Weird!

It is a huge op to have and certainly takes it out of you. If you are worried get it checked but my bet is that after a while you will start to feel less pain. 10 days isn't that long although I know it feels it. I was like you, I stayed in bed and it wasn't until a doctor said to me that I would recover quicker if I started to get up and move about that I did and he was right. I started just pottering for 3 or 4 minutes at a time and slowly felt stronger.

I really hope you get better soon. Teddy sends some slobbery wet kisses and I'm sending you a big hug.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Go to your doc hun,especially if your having pains in your legs that your not supposed to be having.Hope the pains subside soon as theres nothing worse,((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) just for you,xxxxxxxxxx
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:04 PM
they cut thru your stomache muscles to get to it,so that will take a long time to completly heal,you should feel better in 4 to 5 weeks and completely heal the muscles in 5-6 months the leg pain is maybe from the nerves,but you should get to the doctor because with any surgery there is always a chance of a blood clot and the leg is a common place to find one of those
so go bother your GP thats what hes there for

love me xxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >