View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 06:27 PM

IS THIS NORMAL PRACTICE (opinons welcomed )

Ok some of you already know my sister was to pick her a rescue pug tomorrow ,But she had a call today to say that his owners came back to the rescue and picked him up
Now the story as my sister and ive been told is a bit sketchy and does not seem to add up to me
Ok Billie the pug was left at a rehoming shelter a little over a week ago due to his owners moven to New Zealand and they did not want to take him with them
He was to be spayed on Friday by the centre and my sister name was put on him for rehoming , Now they were going to meet my sister in Newry for her to sign his adoption papers and pay the adoption fee ,They apparently were taking another dog from the shelter to a foster home , this was the reason they were bringing Billie to Newry for my sister to collect ,Now she got a call today saying that he had not been spayed yet and was due to go to the vet later today and she could still pick him up as normal tomorrow , So about an hour or so after that call she recieved another one saying his owners had came back to the centre and taken him back ,
When my sister questioned this the Lady told her it was the kennel assistant that signed him back over to his owners as they had said the children were fretting for Billie and they had decided to take him with them to New zealand , Also she said she was not at the centre at the time and said it was not there normal practice to do this as once a dog is gifted in it becomes there responsibity to rehome it , Also when i my sister stated she felt un easy about them not doing a home check on her or her husband she said they had no need as she came highly recommended by her friend is greatly inolved with rescue centres ,They also said they would keep her name on Billie as they thought because the owners had so readily given Billie up without looking into the prospect of taking Billie with them that he would probably be back in the rehoming shelter , My sister does not have the name of the shelter as it was just a phone number given to a friend of hers , As she knew my sister was awaiting and looking for a pug .

Now what i find odd and im uneasy about is
1 No home check , I thought this was policy with all shelters
2 Letting him be rehomed so soon after an operation,
3 The fact that they seem to dismiss the idea of my sister and her husband going to the shelter and being so care free about meeting someone at a cafe in Newry to adopt a rescue dog .
4 they asked her why she wanted a vet certificate on Billie , after he had been spayed to say he would be well enough to be rehomed the same day
Please all views on this will be greatly appreciated ,
Maybe im just being me and seeing problems where there is none

xxdk
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 06:29 PM
all very strange,you are right to be abit suss.makles you wonder if its a stolen dog or something that they want OFF their hands??????
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-01-2008, 06:34 PM
your concerns are all correct...none of it is good practice for a reputable rescue.
however, it is quite likely, and quite common, for people to change there minds and ask for their dog back.
as long as the rescue suss the people out OK, it is *usually* a good idea for a dog to go back to its own home.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
I didnt have a homecheck from rescue centre i got Vegas from,but they did come round a few days after i picked him up to see how we were getting on.The adoption form i filled in does ask for lots of information and this shelter does use my particular veterinary practice so perhaps they checked there.

Idealy,i guess rehoming shouldnt be done until the animal has fully recovered from neutering and especially so for a bitch cos its an invasive operation,but if the dog was stressed in kennels-they may have thought it would be beneficial to be in a home enviroment.

Far as i was aware-once you sign an animal over to rescue-thats it,but shows it isnt the case.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
all very strange,you are right to be abit suss.makles you wonder if its a stolen dog or something that they want OFF their hands??????
I agree hun, I told my sister that i felt very uneasy about this and i also rang Zb (Toni ) just to see what her and her oh views were on it and they both agreed it all seemed very odd , I told my sister if it was me i would be checking into it further and if she still not satified with what the story was id leave well enough alone as she could be taking on a whole heap of trouble , Tbh im thinking he has either a lot of health problems or he has been stolen or belongs to a p/f or a BYB who wants shot of him as he has served his purpose to them or there is some other underlying problem with him , I cannot understand why they gave him up so readily without looking into bringing him with them the first time around xxdk
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
your concerns are all correct...none of it is good practice for a reputable rescue.
however, it is quite likely, and quite common, for people to change there minds and ask for their dog back.
as long as the rescue suss the people out OK, it is *usually* a good idea for a dog to go back to its own home.
Iagree Kruse my sister is more than happy for the little fella to be reunited with his family , its just the way the rescue centre are operating that is the problem she finds a bit suss as do i xxdk
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
who are the rescue?
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I didnt have a homecheck from rescue centre i got Vegas from,but they did come round a few days after i picked him up to see how we were getting on.The adoption form i filled in does ask for lots of information and this shelter does use my particular veterinary practice so perhaps they checked there.

Idealy,i guess rehoming shouldnt be done until the animal has fully recovered from neutering and especially so for a bitch cos its an invasive operation,but if the dog was stressed in kennels-they may have thought it would be beneficial to be in a home enviroment.

Far as i was aware-once you sign an animal over to rescue-thats it,but shows it isnt the case.
When i got Juke Steve , They did not do a home check straight away ,They checked out which vet id be using and did a home check todays later , He was unspayed though he was only 8 weeks and gave me a spaying voucher , But they also gave me a certificate from the vet stating he was fit and healthy xxdk
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
who are the rescue?
Thats the thing when they answered the phone they did not give the name and when she asked they skirted around the issue , All i know is theyre located in the South of Ireland , all she has is a number and they seem wary for some reason of given her the name of the centre ,This is another reason im so edgy about it all , None of it seems to be ringing true xxdk
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Sounds all very fishy to me too and needs checking out but carefully,xxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >