Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Khal was frightened...

A few weeks back when I took Khal to the vet for a check up there was a lady in the waiting room around mid 50's with shoulder length hair...Khal took one look at her and went berserk, heckles up, barking, growling etc trying to climb under my legs when she stood up to walk out.

Tonight my son (who is 14) & I have just been walking the dogs along the beach , there was a lady, late 50's shoulder length hair walking her dog (the dog was miles in front of her, my lot didnt bother with him or vice versa...It was a greyhound with the same markings as Khal so naturally she stopped & was asking about him...He went mad once again, barking, heckles, growling, pulling at the lead...she then went to put her hand out to him & as she moved it towards him he jumped a mile back into my sons legs & hid, still barking..he was terrified. I've never seen him like this since I got him

My son was pretty upset by the whole seen as he loves Khal to bits. The woman walked off muttering he should be muzzled....

I've brought him home, fed him & now hes curled up at my feet. I feel so sad for him as obviously its the same type of person as he went mad at the last time. He is in no way shape or form PA or DA or has a mean bone in his body, but obviously he must have some kind of memory of a woman that looks similiar & by god does it upset him.

He jumped back when she moved her hand like he was expecting a slap, hes never ever done that before.

Sorry guys, waffling now just wanted to share to see if youo had anything that could shed light or maybe just calm me a bit lol

Bev xx
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Awww bless, I love it how people mutter when they know nothing about the situation.

Big hugs & kisses to Khal ((()))
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by taz_in_2001 View Post
Awww bless, I love it how people mutter when they know nothing about the situation.

Big hugs & kisses to Khal ((()))
That drove me up the wall, but it wasnt worth trying to call her back to explain anything

Hugs & kisses delievered in ridiculous amounts from you

Thanks Taz x
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
That drove me up the wall, but it wasnt worth trying to call her back to explain anything

Hugs & kisses delievered in ridiculous amounts from you

Thanks Taz x
No worries, plenty more if needed

There isn't any point is there, hardly anyone ever listens when you try to explain anyway.

I remember when we first had Keila she was beaten terribly, On one of her walks we walked passed a man on the trail he came over and went to smooth her (another one that didn't ask ), she cowered and peed it was heartbreaking... his words to me was you should be shot, you have beaten that dog to a pulp, I tried to explain but he wouldn't listen . I ended up taking her the rest of her walk in tears, I couldn't believe that he thought I would have done that but then again looking back people are so naive on times
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by taz_in_2001 View Post
No worries, plenty more if needed

There isn't any point is there, hardly anyone ever listens when you try to explain anyway.

I remember when we first had Keila she was beaten terribly, On one of her walks we walked passed a man on the trail he came over and went to smooth her (another one that didn't ask ), she cowered and peed it was heartbreaking... his words to me was you should be shot, you have beaten that dog to a pulp, I tried to explain but he wouldn't listen . I ended up taking her the rest of her walk in tears, I couldn't believe that he thought I would have done that but then again looking back people are so naive on times
I agree it is heartbreaking to see our furries upset at anything, I've just been laying here thinking bout what happened earlier & getting upset about it...My son kept saying he couldnt believe anyone could want to part with Khal , never mind the amount of homes hes had & I tried to explain that alot of people unfortunately dont realise the full responsibility of getting a dog & as kids do, he commented that he knew how to look after a dog & hes only 14...my reply was yes but you havent seen anything other than how I treat the dogs & how happy it makes them.
So heres hoping Ive restored his faith a little & hes also told me that when he gets a job & his own place he wants a Khal

I just hope with all my heart that tonights episode doesnt happen again xx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Poor poor boy! I can only imagine how scared he was, how awful. Maybe when you can you could find a friend who fits the look and do some de-sensitising?
When we got Axel (about a year ago) we couldn't go near any men or anyone with hats or anyone with a walking stick. We think at some point he's either been hit with a stick or a man who hurt/scared him had a stick. He didn't bark or hackles or anything, but he would be like a horse trying to get away. After a lot of work, he'll now walk happily past most people and if they offer a hand, sniff most. But he won't walk through easily a large group of Asian men - purely because they make such a big deal about it, he thinks something's going on!
I hope in time you can work on it and he can trust that you'll keep him safe and there's nothing to worry about. *hugs*
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Poor poor boy! I can only imagine how scared he was, how awful. Maybe when you can you could find a friend who fits the look and do some de-sensitising?
When we got Axel (about a year ago) we couldn't go near any men or anyone with hats or anyone with a walking stick. We think at some point he's either been hit with a stick or a man who hurt/scared him had a stick. He didn't bark or hackles or anything, but he would be like a horse trying to get away. After a lot of work, he'll now walk happily past most people and if they offer a hand, sniff most. But he won't walk through easily a large group of Asian men - purely because they make such a big deal about it, he thinks something's going on!
I hope in time you can work on it and he can trust that you'll keep him safe and there's nothing to worry about. *hugs*
Thanks Mel, not lived here long so will have to try find some-one who is willing to help me with this.
It stuck out a mile that hes been hit by some-one or with something at some point in his life.

As it is , when we're out walking I tend to keep him mostly onlead 1-for his hips until I get them investigated properly , even though they arent bothering him at the moment & hes not been limping at all since the last episode

2-As hes such a big dog, VERY friendly & likes to bound over to some people, I worry incase he makes them think hes on the attack if that makes sense? So I tend to try find places where I can give him a 5 min run where there are no others around & if there are people about I'll take him over on lead so he can 'investigate' with out looking like a total 'goofball' (to use Tupacs words ) all paws , tongue & tail then let him off if the other people are happy with it , which 9 times out of 10 they are after hes done licking them & their dogs to bits

To be fair I think I'll be doing this for an awful long time now, just incase one day that person happens to be some-one he 'thinks' is going to damage him xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Poor Khal - I get so sad when I hear about dogs being frightened like that, especially as it obviously brought back nasty memories. Please give him a humungous hug from me.

As for Insomnia's comment about Axel and a group of Asian men - Pereg has a definite dislike/fear of certain men and I can only think it is because some people have, and sometimes still do, thrown stones at her when she is in the front yard because she barks at them.

It only took a few of the same type of person [their look, the way they dress etc] throwing stones at her, and it is now a vicious circle. She sees someone of that type and barks - and her barking and rushing about causes some people to stop, pick up a stone, and throw it - leading to more barking and rushing about.

for all the frightened furries.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
When we first got Daisy she disliked Men in a particular type of Jacket (that was trendy at the time) unfortunately my OH had one, when she first saw him in it and he approched her she went under the dining table and wet herself which was a real shock& heartbreaking.We bumped into someone out and she did the same,took her a little while but she doesnt have an issue with them anymore,we are sure someone had previously beaten her as she would act handshy at the same time
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Aww bless him

Not much help I know,but he could be going through another fear stage...he's like an unconfident mixed up teenager

More hugs from here xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >