Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi there!

All I can tell you is what I've experienced, others may think differently

We got Snorri-dog at age 10 weeks, and he was the runt of the litter (mind you, they were all small-ish). We started him off on a 400gm can of Pedigree Puppy per day, served up in 4 small meals. Although he spent time after each meal seeming to look for more, he had almost doubled his size in a week, and he continued to grow at that sort of rate until he had reached almost adult height. All of this suggests to me that the 400gm tin was quite enough.

Now he's almost 7 (March 3 is his birthday ) and he gets one meal a day, 150gm of minced leftovers from a local butcher, and he is still a bit overweight

It doesn't look as though it matters what the food is, as long as they eat it. Both my "Boys" went off the puppy food early, because they seemed to be getting bored with it.

Border Collies can be very picky about food; mine will just stand in front of the dish and look at me, as if saying "You don't expect us to eat this muck, do you?", yet the next day, they will wolf down exactly the same stuff!

And yes, I agree with Ian (almost) - I'd say they have three speeds: fast, faster and zonked! And, borrowing a phrase from an American site I visit, they are exceptionally good at "zoomies" in parks, fields and on beaches!

Snorri
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2005, 03:52 PM
P.S. THIS is a "zoomie"

Snorri the Priest on a local beach!

Snorri
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Willowish: I only use Drontal puppy wormer, I found Panacur too harsh on my pups tummies. I don't really know where my sister got Sassy from, all I know is that it was in Yate, South Glos somewhere! I'll ask when they get back!

Sassy has had two meals so far with Pedigree complete, and she seems a lot more settled........still hyper, but not a looking for food hyper!

Will post more pictures soon.
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi CC glad to here she is more settled with regards her food and hyper is BC normal mode lol. I must say shes a pretty little tri-colour girl and agree with Jackkiew we need to see more Piccies please
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Have to agree with Hogget here - BCs don't seem to have their brains wired up all that securely! Both of mine have been picky eaters at one time or another - they'd eat Cesar some days, but not others. Finally, we put them on minced offcuts from the butcher, and they always eat that.

It was, however, making them fat, so we put them on a diet consisting of 100 gm meat plus a "palmful" of Pedigree complete (to ensure "crunch" and trace elements). They get this once a night.

For a puppy, I'd give them about the same amount of meat, split into 4 little meals (puppies' stomachs are very small, about the size of the top joint of your thumb, at most) with some boiled rice, Little and often is the rule here, and it worked fine for my two, reared from puppyhood to a pair of lummoxes about 20kg apiece.

One thing to remember, Border Collies take well to training, but they are also very good at training YOU! If they think that they can "train" you to give them exactly what they want, they'll do it. Why live on canned food if you can persuade someone to give you fillet steak?

BC = Beware Charlatanry!!!!!!!

Snorri
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Cassie was raised on Pedigree Puppy Complete dry food and it was always fine for her. She is, however, like a lot of the others not a big eater and can be picky every now and again.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 09:34 PM
I must be the odd one out here all but one of my BCs could eat for england & eat anything & once I found the right food for the one that wasn;t a big eater he ate well too

I've changed my puppy onto raw & organic complete(from Beta puooy that he was fed on) & he has far more than one 400 can of meat a day

He's not hyper nor loony but he is bred to work so has to have enforced rests otherwise he would play until exhausted

If you do change the food bear in mind it can cause loose motions so please be careful !
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
My BC puppy is fed BARF, he has never refused food and will always lick the bowl clean !
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:54 PM
I thought I was the odd one out in that respect Dyane as all mine wolf there food aswell lol and I keep reading posts about fussy BC's and them not eating sometimes I wish

TCMufffin
New Member!
Female 

04-09-2005, 01:51 PM
We're big Burns fans in our house. Our baby BC, Badger, came from the vets with some Hills Puppy Food, but refused to eat this once he noticed our older dog eating Burns' Fish and Brown Rice.

At 7 months he is still on 3 meals a day (his accident has meant that he's about a month late on all his 'milestones') and has about 200g of Burn's Fish and Brown Rice per day supplemented by Glyco-Flex , Top Life Formula Milk, organic free-range eggs, organic cheese, or organic meat as available. Badger has grown like a weed, his coat is glossy, his eyes bright, and more importantly he is now using his damaged leg without pain.

Good enough for us
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3