Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 12:32 AM

Wedding Licence?

This is mainly for dogsey members in Scotland, as I think the rules are different up here to the rest of the UK.

Has anyone ever been married at a location of their choice -other than in a registry office or church? ie. a location of their own choosing such as a local beauty spot? If so, did you need a licence for a civil ceremony to take place?

Thanks.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 08:25 AM
In England I know the place itself has to be licenced but I think it is currently restricted to buildings only so you have an address where people can find you if they want to do the speak now or forever hold your peace bit.
Is there not a Scottish Humanist Society who could help?
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/
If you click on ceremonies it mentions that humanist weddings are legal in Scotland here's the link http://humanism-scotland.org.uk/ hope that helps!
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Oh you're so lucky living in Scotland here's a link to the weddings bit http://www.humanism-scotland.org.uk/...eddings-2.html beautiful piccies of an outdoor weddings!
Becky
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks so much Becky ... I am off to have a look at the links now
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 10:26 AM
As far as I am aware the person conducting the wedding (minister, registrar etc) is the one that has to be licenced..not the venue.. so as long as you can get the officiating person to the venue then its legal
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
As far as I am aware the person conducting the wedding (minister, registrar etc) is the one that has to be licenced..not the venue.. so as long as you can get the officiating person to the venue then its legal
That is great Louise, thanks for the info! From the information I have read that is what I had gleaned but I still wasn't 100% sure.

So, basically, if the Registrar agrees to marry us in the location of our choice, and the landowner agrees to the ceremony taking place, then it all above board?

Great!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Yip I believe that to be correct too, as my OH's pal got married at the top of a munro obviously the person conducting the ceremony had to agree to go there (just aswell they were in the same climbing club!!)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Yip I believe that to be correct too, as my OH's pal got married at the top of a munro obviously the person conducting the ceremony had to agree to go there (just aswell they were in the same climbing club!!)
That's brilliant

I was planning on a beach wedding at Camusfearna in the NW Highlands but since recently having a baby, have decided it would be far easier to get married a bit closer to home
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
That's brilliant

I was planning on a beach wedding at Camusfearna in the NW Highlands but since recently having a baby, have decided it would be far easier to get married a bit closer to home
Even so, you'll have no difficultly finding a stunning location, I'm sure. Any ideas yet?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >