Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Spot, 2 different lines of discussion.
If pet owners want to breed the odd litter, because they know there is a demand for said pups, as people have asked them to breed...wheres the problem? They know the pups will go to good homes and that there is actually a good home waiting for them. Better than having to advertise. As long as they are a of sound health and temeperament, checks done etc.

The other discussion on here is crosses...as I said why not? You didn't answer about Guide Dogs stopping crossing as it was impractical?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Spot, what about the other reasons Ramble gave? Do you think any of them are 'valid' reasons for breeding for people that want a pet?
There are no valid reasons for breeding a litter solely for sale in my opinion.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:15 AM
So you think you should only breed a litter for some of them to be shown as good examples of the breed?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The other discussion on here is crosses...as I said why not? You didn't answer about Guide Dogs stopping crossing as it was impractical?
As far as I'm aware Guide Dogs do breed crosses, their best one is first cross lab/retriever and I do believe they are doing flat coat crosses too now. However, that is irrelevant in this discussion because Guide Dogs don't breed for sale, they are producing dogs to fulfil a function, that is to guide blind people, and therefore need a dog to fit that role and will chose the best dogs to produce the best puppies for that role.
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
So you think you should only breed a litter for some of them to be shown as good examples of the breed?
They should be bred for the betterment of the breed (as I have said before) and should have been assessed, at some point, to be a good example of their breed. However, the intention should be to improve your line, if you always sell all the pups then how is there any improvement?
Of course there are going to be differences of interpretation on the standard and the standard, in reality, is just a guide.
However, I do not think that people should be given the green light to breed from their dog just because they are nice pets.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
As far as I'm aware Guide Dogs do breed crosses, their best one is first cross lab/retriever and I do believe they are doing flat coat crosses too now. However, that is irrelevant in this discussion because Guide Dogs don't breed for sale, they are producing dogs to fulfil a function, that is to guide blind people, and therefore need a dog to fit that role and will chose the best dogs to produce the best puppies for that role.
Becky
Yes, said dogs also have to be happy living in a home environment.
So...why is it so wrong to do a similar thing for the pet market?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:21 AM
They should be bred for the betterment of the breed (as I have said before) and should have been assessed, at some point, to be a good example of their breed. However, the intention should be to improve your line, if you always sell all the pups then how is there any improvement?
Of course there are going to be differences of interpretation on the standard and the standard, in reality, is just a guide.
However, I do not think that people should be given the green light to breed from their dog just because they are nice pets.Becky
And at no point has anyone said that should be the only criteria, there should also be through health checks etc in place.
Why should it always be to improve your line? Does that mean then, that they should be bred to show your line?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Quite simply the message you are giving out is that it's OK to breed your dog, whomever you are, whatever you have, as long as you've got a nice pet you can produce whatever you want, sell all the puppies, who cares.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Quite simply the message you are giving out is that it's OK to breed your dog, whomever you are, whatever you have, as long as you've got a nice pet you can produce whatever you want, sell all the puppies, who cares.
Becky
No, quite simply the message I am giving out is...
breed your pet dog (therefore implying you would not have a huge number of them) occassionally if it has a sound temperament and has ALL the health checks done and you have a home for all the pups and are willing to give follow up advice and care.

What on earth is so wrong with that Becky?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:27 AM
You didn't answer my question either...are you saying dogs should only be bred to show your line? Otherwise...whats the point of only breeding to better your line?
Page 12 of 54 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »