View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Malka, I really feel for you these fits must be so frightening for Pereg and for you (and of course it's not so easy for you to respond in your chair I would imagine)

Sadly I don't really have any advice, all I can suggest is that if you feed her all that she desires after these attacks maybe you could cut down on her food in the following few days so that over say two weeks her intake is normal and maybe that would keep her weight where it should be.

And as someone above said use food that she likes but fills her up, if that happens to be vegetables then why not. It is a myth that dogs are only carnivorous feeders they are not and will eat lots of other stuff.

Also, in quoting the time since the last attack are you worried these may be on the increase I do hope not but only your vet. can advice you about that.
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
It was as if she had blanked the words "no" and "all gone" totally out of her memory, and all that was there was hunger hunger hunger.
Yes, that's how Murphy was, they are not thinking straight yet are they, poor things? I did wait until he was able to drink out of his bowl properly and had given him his valium in some cheese then hand fed him so he wouldn't bolt it down and choke.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by maryl View Post
Poor Pereg (and you), how is she now?

She is back to normal now, thank you.

Murphy's epilepsy was pretty bad, he used to have three or four seizures every month or so over a 36 hour period.

That must have been terrible.

He also had this fierce hunger thing. I was told about the blood sugar level dropping and to give him some ice cream, zapped in the microwave first. Then told that blood sugar levels could be high, so I stopped the ice cream.

I have heard about ice cream but thought it was to cool the dog down, not for blood sugar levels.

He would make his way to the fridge too and he could open it, he was a huge German Shepherd. I know he was not 'trying it on' with me as he was still in post-ictal. What I did was to wait until he was back to normal, then give him a small meal of his usual food, followed by another small one 15 mins later.

I do not think I could cope with an epi dog Murphy's size - it is difficult enough with an 18 or 19 kilo girl. There was no way that I could have waiting until she was back to normal this morning though as she was getting more and more agitated.

Then that week I would cut down his amount of food just a little each time so things evened out. I think giving Murphy a little of his usual food was the best thing for him.
I will do my best to follow that.

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Malka, I really feel for you these fits must be so frightening for Pereg and for you (and of course it's not so easy for you to respond in your chair I would imagine)

Thank you. I do not thing it is easy for anyone, not just for me because of my chair.

Sadly I don't really have any advice, all I can suggest is that if you feed her all that she desires after these attacks maybe you could cut down on her food in the following few days so that over say two weeks her intake is normal and maybe that would keep her weight where it should be.

As I said to Maryl, I will do my best to follow that.

And as someone above said use food that she likes but fills her up, if that happens to be vegetables then why not. It is a myth that dogs are only carnivorous feeders they are not and will eat lots of other stuff.

Unfortunately since starting Pereg on raw she has gone off vegetables. The only way she will eat any, and then only a very small amount, is if mixed with some of her kibble and with chicken or fish stock poured over it. Even then she will pick out things she does not fancy at any particular time.

Also, in quoting the time since the last attack are you worried these may be on the increase I do hope not but only your vet. can advice you about that.
I keep a diary of her seizures, both the Grand Mal and the minor Petit Mal or Focal ones, date, time, length of duration, post-ictal behaviour etc but it is the Grand Mals that I am concerned about.

Her first Grand Mal was on 1 April. Two on the 8th. 25mg Pb bid started on 10 April. Another two on 23rd. Dose increased to 50mg morning and 25mg evening.

Then seven weeks and two days until the next one on 12 June, and now five weeks since then.

This is to help me and to help Ram, our vet, who he has agreed that I should give Pereg the extra 25mg following a seizure.

I just hope I do not have to increase the dose again, although she is still within the correct range for her weight.
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Yes, if Pereg was that determined that she should eat NOW, any waiting at all while in that state might have triggered another seizure?
As for managing a large dog, we do what we have to don't we? I am amazed at how you manage in your wheelchair. Murphy was a very large GSD, straight back with long black hair, his epilepsy lasted for nine years. I on the other hand weigh under 6 stones, very tiny and still managed to lift his back end up in his harness to walk him out into the garden when very doped up on valiium. Have been known to do this in my nightie and wellington boots in the pouring rain.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by maryl View Post
Have been known to do this in my nightie and wellington boots in the pouring rain.
Oh yes Mary, the things we do for our dogs but IMO you can be proud of that dedication, to me it shows a human with compassion and loyalty which we both know abound in canines but are not so common in humans.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I cant give you any advice Malka but I want to send you and Pereg big cuddles from Minnie, K'Ehleyr and me xxx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
I cant give you any advice Malka but I want to send you and Pereg big cuddles from Minnie, K'Ehleyr and me xxx
Thank you so much. And thanks to everyone for being such a comfort. I had such a terrible morning and when Pereg finally settled and I managed to relax slightly, it all seemed rather dreamlike in a way. Sort of well so she has had another seizure, was so difficult afterwards, but now it is over so try to forget it ever happened.

Only the slightest sound from her, the slightest twitch, and I am suddenly alert to check she is OK. As she flonks down flat on her side, with her back leaning against my front wheel, I can feel the slightest move she might make. And when there is no sound and she hasn't stirred for a while I keep looking down to make sure she is still breathing.

It has just gone 11.45pm now so about time Pereg and I took ourselves off to bed. Hopefully we will have a peaceful night and that tomorrow will be the first day of another seizure-free run.

Lila Tov

Malka x
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Malka, I do so hope you and Pereg have a peaceful night now.

Losos, thank you for your kind words.
bullys4ever
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi..i know what you mean about the hunger after a grand mal, as i had a staffy that started having fits aged 2 years and know how distressing you feel inside.He had them about every four weeks and occasionally had them in two's or 3 over a couple of days.He was on mysoline till we had him pts aged 13 and a half with a bad heart and general old age caught up with him.We took him on holiday everywhere to save stressing him out and so we could give him his daily medication. The starvation is awful as you do feel so sorry for them...but like yourself you cant leave them hungry but luckily on the days without fits he wasn't starving..maybe try a word again with your vet or phone around for some advice regarding the weight gain.....good luck and take care.
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2011, 10:36 AM
How was Pereg during the night Malka, all OK I hope?
Mary
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >