View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I know you may not want to feed kibble but I'm a big believer in fed what suits the dog, and it's possible that raw just may not agree with your dog. By all means try and solve it on raw but you may come to a point where you need to try something else. If you hate kibble and can't work it out on raw, how about homecooked?

I have had Cain on Omega 3 capsules for just over two weeks now and he looks great on it. I don't know if it's any different to the fish4dogs oil, but his coat is soft and his moulting has reduced dramatically.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Definately may be worth doing an exclusion diet but remember to count treats and titbits too. I would be tempted to go for a new, novel protein or one you know is 'safe' - you mentioned duck kibble, it's probably not the cheapest but could you maybe do just duck meat, bones and offal for a few weeks?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 11:50 AM
If you were feeding CSJ you weren't feeding a brilliant quality kibble. It is great for some dogs but I would look at fish4dogs or Wafcol salmon and potato.

If one of my kibble fed dogs was looking bad and uncomfortable I would try raw. I am not into causing a dog to be uncomfortable to meet my ideas of what is right for it.

rune
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
the problem with the oils is that i think you dont really know whats in them. smokeybear reccomended omega 3 capsules, but you also have to give vitamin E aswell to balance out the omega. (something like that anyway, SB knows it better and can give you the ammounts your dog should be recieving in a week) maybe giver her a pm about it, but i know that the yumega hasnt worked and neither has fish4dogs, its too expensive to keep buying when its not working.
Thanks for that! The Riaflex is supposed to contain just pure salmon oil but who knows?. My vet wanted to put him on Viacutin because he said he needed essential fatty acids but as this contains evening primrose oil and he's epileptic I decided to try the salmon oil instead. He's generally been very itchy and scurfy for a few weeks.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by DVNBIKER View Post
yes I did try fish 4 dogs fish oil and it hasn't made any difference. I am actually wondering whether he is allergic to a particular meat source so am gonna try and eliminate one at a time and see if that works
Yumega plus isn't the same as feeding salmon oil. It is for dogs with itchy skin and did wonders for my collie boy who started to chew his fur off his back legs; i had previously tried just salmon oil for him but it didn't make any difference; the yumega plus however has definitely worked

Jann xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I think it's also worth pointing out that seeing the results from giving supplements can take weeks to show so it's really worth while sticking with them for a few months to see if anything changes.
GoldenShadow1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Have you thought about using a pro biotic or anything at all? Rupert has skin issues and is on raw. An elimination diet is hard for him and I am not convinced it is necessarily food related but they really helped a lot of his tummy troubles. Its Pro Texin Pro Fibre I use for him, same people who make Pro Kolin and whilst not keen on giving it it really did help.

Also, what source is your tripe from?? I get green lamb tripe but I know a lot of tripe is beef, so can end up having beef in the diet even though not directly from meat?
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

19-07-2011, 09:34 AM
yes he was already on probiotics and that has made no difference either.

I have put him onto fish and rice for the moment with only fish treats. see if I can get his skin to clear up and then will start to gradually add in other meat sources.

Have dumped all supplements in case it is something in these that is causing it.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2