Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Puppy with flat ribs.

Hi. My vet has just diagnosed my puppy with flat ribs. He said its not dangerous just don't breed from her. The problem is it was my partner who took her and he didn't ask any questions. I personally won't see the vet for 2 weeks now. I have googled this condition but can't seem to find much info. I am not like my partner and am worried and would like to know more. Please does anyone have any info on this condition that I could read until I next see my vet.
Thanks
Sarah xxx
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 04:27 PM
He might mean the rib cage its self is flat often described as slab sided. If that is the case there may not be a lot of room for pups if you bred from her but so long as there is room for her organs there should be no problem.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Thank you I never intended to breed her anyway (the world has enough puppies looking for homes already) I just want to be sure she is happy and healthy and see if I can find out what caused it. I will be bombarding the vet with questions . My OHs attitude is "the vet said it wont cause any problems shes fine" but I just want more info coz im a worrier
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Nothing will have caused it, she would have likely inherited it.

Some dogs the rib cage is too round often referred to as barrel chested.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Im not sure this is what he is referring to leadstaffs. Borders should have flat ribs, but I cant see why a Vet would think a dog with a flat rib cage shouldnt be bred from?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2011, 06:55 PM
For the vet to comment I would guess that the ribs are a lot flatter than they should be for the breed of the dog.
In that case there may be a problem with the pups having enough space and putting presure on the dogs internal organs.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2011, 10:03 PM
How old is the puppy. Was she taken to the vets because you were worried ? Is she a particular breed or does she have certain breed characteristics ?

Different breeds have different types of rib cages depending on their function - for instance a setters ribcage is a different shape to that of a bulldog.

I have setters and their ribcages change as they grow. We wait for their chest or keel to 'drop' and their ribs to 'spring' until they form that distinctive deep chest and narrow waist but with a moderate rounding to the chest cavity to provide heart room for a very active sort of dog.

So it your puppy is very young, there is still chance for her to change.

Thalice's Mum
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 11:00 PM
The vet said the ribs dont curl back back in at the ends like they nomally do. It gives her an appearence of being thin or ribby when in fact she is not. Here is a pic of the ribs for anyone interested.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Do you have a pic of looking down over the top of her. Any thinnish dogs ribs will look like that pic when lying flat.