Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Pets At Home Kennel Club Breeders Scheme

I have heard from a friend that Pets At Home has introduced a new scheme to give kennel club breeders in-store discount on the stuff they buy.

I'm not sure how I really feel about this, I support the responsible breeders out there who only breed for the good temperament and well-being of the breed for future generations... however there are still many breeders out there who do not breed responsibly and just want the money churning puppies out faster than a conveyer belt.

Also is this really fair on those of us who have our wonderful mongrel dogs? Our mongrel dogs that are very healthy due to not being made into kennel club "clones" and all fitting the standards needing to be met.

I mean Cavaliers for example suffer eye problems, heart problems, brain problems.. The list is countless. Yet a cross-breed would possibly have a lot less health complications.
The same of course goes to the gorgeous English Bulldogs with their huge over-sized heads needing to be born via cesarian.

What do you guys think? A good thing or a bad thing. I'm not sure.

Like I said I'm all for people being responsible breeders, And I know all the breeders have to prove themselves to be kennel club breeders (KC registered) to get this 10% off or whatever it is... But what about all the dogs in the rescue shelters that nobody wants anymore? Some of these are pedigrees as well.

I personally think it would be better instead of having a scheme for kennel club breeders - Have a scheme to benefit people who have rescue dogs. It may give people an incentive to rescue a dog from the RSPCA or Dogs Trust instead of breeding many puppies which may end up in kennels.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I hate pets at home unless I have to go in for dog toys or a hutch or something for the bunnies. Our PAH with groomers cooked a dog to death after leaving her in a cage with a drier on and then the person in charge of looking after her went on a break and the dog choked on her own vomit. When I took Sadie in for her microchip (My friend was doing training and Sadie is the only one that wasnt done and it was free) they were in the back and I went to do some shopping thinking that now this place was under new management and my friend was there it would be better. Wrong, the trainer was late, one of the people who was in charge was screaming at the dogs to shut up there was a chiuahua(SP),CKCS and a shih-tzu puppy (who was really sweet and adorable) as well as Sadie and to keep her company and because I wanted to see how he was on a bus Louie too, the tumble drier was on in the same room as the dogs and there was no air con on even though they had it.

So whatever they are setting up now, I'm not on board with it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I can`t imagine many professional breeders ordering food etc from PAH, to be honest. Surely they`ll buy direct?
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
Like I said I'm all for people being responsible breeders, And I know all the breeders have to prove themselves to be kennel club breeders (KC registered) to get this 10% off or whatever it is... But what about all the dogs in the rescue shelters that nobody wants anymore? Some of these are pedigrees as well.

I personally think it would be better instead of having a scheme for kennel club breeders - Have a scheme to benefit people who have rescue dogs. It may give people an incentive to rescue a dog from the RSPCA or Dogs Trust instead of breeding many puppies which may end up in kennels.
I know some of the smaller breed rescues are given 10% discount vouchers to give to people who adopt a dog from them. I think both are good schemes although don't think they would encourage people to adopt from a certain place or anything. Often local pet shops are at least 10% cheaper than PAH too, although I do go there for some bits and bobs

Dee
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I can`t imagine many professional breeders ordering food etc from PAH, to be honest. Surely they`ll buy direct?
Breeders use breeder clubs with a brand, so they get Pedigree Professional (not the Pedigree in shops) or Arden Grange breeder bags (brown paper) Saves money and a better food for cost....

Please don't beat me up but...
I'm not sure I think it should be better giving it to people with rescue dogs though - how do you prove your dog was a rescue......also, by the same token, what do you class as 'rescue' any dog that has been rehomed? would it be fair to encourage demand for mongrels by giving them the discount - justifying their dogs getting 'caught out' etc If you rescue a dog you should be able to afford to feed it anyway without 'incentives' All pet food companies have breeder schemes.

PAH just think that by offering them discount and puppy packs not only will they get a customer out of the breeder but also from each of the puppies owners (potentially) since they will have been given discount vouchers etc no doubt. At the end of the day the vouchers don't benefit the dog or owner as much as PAH. Once they have customer loyalty it worth a lot more to them than what you would be saving (not much and there are bound to be items excluded - probably anything that isn't their own brand)

PAH don't really care whats fair, just a business...
If it is 10% then its only 10p from a £1 off the costs and there are places much cheaper anyway. Just another marketing ploy that makes them more money.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2010, 08:39 PM
All very good points!

I think the only way they could regulate rescue dogs is if the rescues gave out some type of paperwork when an animal is adopted. I see your point =-)

It's just interesting to see some of the points flowing around here. Yes I do agree I personally find Pets At home an expensive place, but its also one of the only (well it is the only) place I can buy Wainrights dog food. I find it a slightly cheaper version of James Wellbeloved and it does the dogs coat and skin wonders.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I have heard from a friend that Pets At Home has introduced a new scheme to give kennel club breeders in-store discount on the stuff they buy.

I'm not sure how I really feel about this, I support the responsible breeders out there who only breed for the good temperament and well-being of the breed for future generations... however there are still many breeders out there who do not breed responsibly and just want the money churning puppies out faster than a conveyer belt.

Also is this really fair on those of us who have our wonderful mongrel dogs? Our mongrel dogs that are very healthy due to not being made into kennel club "clones" and all fitting the standards needing to be met.

I mean Cavaliers for example suffer eye problems, heart problems, brain problems.. The list is countless. Yet a cross-breed would possibly have a lot less health complications.
The same of course goes to the gorgeous English Bulldogs with their huge over-sized heads needing to be born via cesarian.

What do you guys think? A good thing or a bad thing. I'm not sure.

Oh dear, its statements like that that cause people to breed designer crossbreeds and avoid health testing and KC registered puppies, landing themselves with a load of trouble!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Our mongrel dogs that are very healthy due to not being made into kennel club "clones" and all fitting the standards needing to be met.

what exactly do you mean by kennel club clones??

and what exactly does that have to a shop offering discount on food to pedigree breeders. Do you just want to dig at pedigee dogs? seems so. ohh and for what its worth all the things you have stated above can affect dogs that consit of more than one breed! Just thought we should clear that up.

But what about all the dogs in the rescue shelters that nobody wants anymore? Some of these are pedigrees as well.

The offer or what ever it is, is directed at breeders so has nothing to do with bringing in a rescue. why is it unfair on people that get rescues, because a breeder has got a deal on food or what ever else they may buy??

There is nothing wrong with things being in place for responsible breeders, people who want to buy a puppy should not be be littled for such a thing! Please why is it always breeders VS rescues??
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I can`t imagine many professional breeders ordering food etc from PAH
Nor can I.. But thats not the point, Its put in place for breeders. So why some one would come on and suggest its wrong because of health issues with pedigree dogs, and how its unfair on rescues is a total joke.

The deal with P@H is 10% off in all stores when you spend £100, and 15% off when you spend £150 plus 10% off at participating companion care surgeries.

Crap deal anyway!
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Oh dear, its statements like that that cause people to breed designer crossbreeds and avoid health testing and KC registered puppies, landing themselves with a load of trouble!
Sorry I didn't mean it like that, cross-breeds do obviously suffer from health-problems (no dog is problem-free)

I'm just saying that some pedigree dogs that are KC registered are not tested not all breeders are responsible - but of course thumbs up to all the breeders which do.
Some truly maginificant dogs are pedigrees, I wouldnt have attended Crufts last year if I thought it was wrong.

Sorry I didn't mean anything by it, I don't want to cause any arguments on here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >