View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 07:10 AM
i would say in a crate he is safe even in the kitchen there might not be lots of wire like else were in the house but there is still harmful stuff i nearly found this out when i found mine opening the cupboards. If he feels safe in the crete u will prob find him in there anyway while you are out at work.
ATD x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 07:20 AM
At the moment I am home most days with my boys and if I'm not someone else is. Lucky boys I say. In the past there were occassionally 2 days a week where me and my oH were out at work all day. We had someone come in and let them out and pamper them, but that was it. They were fine, fantastic dogs. It was me that wasn't...couldn't wait to get home each day and hug them I hated the thought of them being home alone most of the day!! That was my problem though, not theirs, they didn't mind at all...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 08:52 AM
One week = 168 hours

Time without Woody = 41 hours 15 minutes (25%)

Time with Woody = 126 hours and 50 minutes (75%)

That 75% is purely Woody. He is fed, loved, groomed, walked, trained, stimulated, toileted, watered (and of course sleeping safe and warm and dryly) and everything else a happy, healthy dog should have.

Trust me if I could get away with not working I would but we are not rich and we are too ethical to cheat the benefit system, we therefore earn an honest living and fulfil our lives with a dog!
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Daft figures - 8 hours sleep per night - puppy crated.

No long lies?

Did your breeder ask the question? If not, I would worry. If they did, what did you reply?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Daft figures - 8 hours sleep per night - puppy crated.

No long lies?

Did your breeder ask the question? If not, I would worry. If they did, what did you reply?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I feel you have made yours.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
No decent breeder would sell a pup to someone who has every intention of working full time and that is because they care about the welfare of the pups they sell .
The breeder of both my dogs works full time herself (unless raising a litter), as does the owner of the stud dog.

A good breeder will take each prospective puppy owner as an individual case on its own merits. Just because someone doesn't work full time doesn't mean they won't be a good dog owner (you only have to look at my neighbours to see this!)

I was off sick on Monday and thought that my boys would relish the fact that they could play in the garden all day. Instead, they followed their normal routine and they settled on the sofas all day; despite my urgings to come outside
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
The breeder of both my dogs works full time herself (unless raising a litter), as does the owner of the stud dog.

A good breeder will take each prospective puppy owner as an individual case on its own merits. Just because someone doesn't work full time doesn't mean they won't be a good dog owner (you only have to look at my neighbours to see this!)

I was off sick on Monday and thought that my boys would relish the fact that they could play in the garden all day. Instead, they followed their normal routine and they settled on the sofas all day; despite my urgings to come outside
I have to force Beau to play with me during the day
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I keep reading this thread with utmost interest.... my dogs are never in the house alone, our breeder asked us if they would be left and we said no....
However, I think it is important that a dog has some time alone anyway, incase of emergencies...
If I am honest it isn't my ideal either, the only reason I have my dogs is because someone is home with them, but I wouldn't condemn anyone who did work and have a dog. There are far worse situations out there and Woody is adored, that much is obvious... As long as he is stimulated and exercised, he should be okay and if I remember correctedly Pidge did say on another thread that when he is older he may go to work with her??
I know someone who was at home all day and only took her 2 BC's to the end of the road and back, as their daily exercise!!! I also know someone who worked full time and took their dog out before and after work and all weekend from puppyhood... it depends on the dog and situation
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I feel you have made yours.
I agree with you Lionhound.

Situations change, and I'd be worried myself that with all the ''Im saying don't have a pup and work'' there are people on this forum, where in the past they have had a puppy and thier relationship's have broken up and they have HAD to go to work....leaving the pup at home.

But I also know that those pups have grown up good....and the members still have them....even if thier partners have long gone.

We have even had member's who have lost thier homes and had to live in vans.....but the puppy/dog has stayed with them.
I'd be careful about judging people...these things have a habit of coming back and biting you on the bottom
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post

I'd be careful about judging people...these things have a habit of coming back and biting you on the bottom
Thank you for your comments.

Should I have to go back to work I will have no problem with my dogs - my youngest would no longer be such a baby that she could not be left should this happen.

My concern here is the age of the pup, not the fact that it is being left, as many happy dogs are, all day.
Page 8 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »