Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:22 AM

More traumas with Mum!

When I visited her yesterday, she was in a real funny mood, and didn't recognise me straight away when I walked in her room, but I'm used to that when I haven't been for a week-end, coz sitting in her chair in her room for 2 days when I don't visit, must seem like a week to her, I know that, but I need to be with Dave at the week-ends. Anyway, got over that with her and cheered her up, then she starts on about a pain in her back yet again!! She says she's had it since she fell on her head 3 weeks ago, but she hasn't because last week I asked her every single day whether she had any pains in her back or hips and she always said "no" and the staff say the same. Anyway, she wanted the doctor, but the staff there said they would see how it was today and take it from there. I've tried to explain to her that she's probably bent over awkwardly to get on the commode or something and twisted it, because it does sound just like the pains I suffer with around the hip area and lower back.

I've just got back and she's still the same today, says she's in pain, so they are going to get the doc out, and I just know what's going to happen next, he'll probably whip her off to the hospital again for x-rays in case it's something to do with the operation I've told her to hang fire until tomorrow, keep on the higher dose of painkillers which she is allowed, even though she's been trying to reduce them, and see what happens tomorrow, which she has agreed, and hopefully they won't even have to get the quack out.

I told her only last week we were talking about getting her back home soon, and now this, and I said to her, it seems to be 3 steps forward and 2 steps back with her! I can't do anymore until we see whether she needs a doc or not, or whether he will want her back in hospital to get her checked out. She's not one to complain about pain if she hasn't got any, I do know that, but I'm really hoping it's just muscle related.

Typical isn't it, I'm meeting up with Losos on Thursday when he's in the UK and you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to be tied up either at the home waiting for the doc (coz I do want to be there!) or at the hospital yet again! That's called s*ds law!!!! Hey ho.

Thanks for listening, this is still an ongoing saga just like poor Lynn is going through
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Hope your momma feel's better sometime soon and it is only muscle.xxxxxxxxxxx
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:31 AM
what a tough time you're having hope things lighten up for you sometime soon xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks Toni, it's just an ongoing old saga for me isn't it!! I don't know what I've done to deserve all this, I've always been such a good girl (of late anyway!!!) Hey ho!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Awww Helena this is the same with Mum and the pain in her side. They keep x-raying 2 GP's from her home surgery say its the osteoporis, but they keep delving and finding nothing. I put it all down to age now especially with my Mum who I believe is older than your mum even at 88.
I hope it all works out ok and you get your day out, I am leaving in a bit to see Mum and have a chat with this discharge woman and try to convince them she needs nursing before going back home then reminding Mum of our little chat at the weekend which now she is feeling better I am sure she has conveniently forgotten.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Poor you. It seems never ending for you doesn't it? I do hope your mum is just having a little muscle pain. Hope you get to spend some time with Losos, you do need a break. Sending *hugs* to you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Oh yes Lynn, I bet she has! That's just how my mum was for weeks and weeks, she had all these ideas in her head, what she was going to do, etc. etc. and then after falling in the actual hospital, she must have knocked some sense into herself coz she suddenly just turned right around and realised she just couldn't do things for herself any more and needed a proper care home. Now she's never looked back, she feels so secure having that bell to ring day and night, and if the truth's known, I bet your mum will feel the same.

I didn't know your Mum had pains like this Lynn, that's very interesting and maybe it is the osteoporosis (sp) because the doctors kept telling me time and time again, with each new pain, they've x-rayed just about everything now but can find nothing, apart from old age! There but for the Grace of God then Lynn!!! Not me mate!!! I've seen too much of late in those hospitals, and I've decided to frighten myself at the ripe old age of 70 (if I haven't gone already ) with the biggest spider I can find, and knowing I've got a heart problem, it should be quick!!!!! I don't want to be where my Mum is nor yours, that's for sure! Thanks Lynn, and all the best to you with yours!xxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh yes Lynn, I bet she has! That's just how my mum was for weeks and weeks, she had all these ideas in her head, what she was going to do, etc. etc. and then after falling in the actual hospital, she must have knocked some sense into herself coz she suddenly just turned right around and realised she just couldn't do things for herself any more and needed a proper care home. Now she's never looked back, she feels so secure having that bell to ring day and night, and if the truth's known, I bet your mum will feel the same.

I didn't know your Mum had pains like this Lynn, that's very interesting and maybe it is the osteoporosis (sp) because the doctors kept telling me time and time again, with each new pain, they've x-rayed just about everything now but can find nothing, apart from old age! There but for the Grace of God then Lynn!!! Not me mate!!! I've seen too much of late in those hospitals, and I've decided to frighten myself at the ripe old age of 70 (if I haven't gone already ) with the biggest spider I can find, and knowing I've got a heart problem, it should be quick!!!!! I don't want to be where my Mum is nor yours, that's for sure! Thanks Lynn, and all the best to you with yours!xxxx
Ditto to that Helena and if I am not gone I will be making provisions for my care as I do not wish my 2 boys to be put in the position I am in now.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I have osteoporosis and the pains do come and go, with me it can depend on the weather, and even what direction the wind is in!! Some days I can be quite literally crying with the pains in my back, legs and knees, other days it's just the dull ache that I have got so used to I don't even notice it really and carry on regardless. Sitting in the same position for any length of time causes horrendous pain and I make sure I am always sitting on a cushion when driving or know I am going to sit on a hard surface. This could well be the pain your mum feels in her back, if she can move around a bit for a while and then sit down in a different place with a cushion it will relieve it a bit. I always have a cushion at my back as well which helps. If she is diagnosed with osteoporosis the medication they will most probably give her is Fosamax, which has to be taken once a week before any food or drink in the morning. The side effects on that day are not nice to say the least, there is another one out now which you only take once a month, same deal, but one day a month I can deal with, it is called Bonviva.
Keep hanging on in there, I read your updates on your mum regularly, as I do Lynn's, maybe we should start our own thread called 'Some daughters do 'ave 'em' as I can identify with both of you such a lot.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 03:31 PM
So sorry to read you have been in so much pain too Tawneywolf, it sounds pretty unbearable for you at times I also didn't know you have problems too like Lynn and myself, that's also not so good! Funny you should say that about the cushion, because I took two of her bigger cushions over last week, put one ON the seat of the chair and one behind for her lower back and she said that was a lot more comfortable for her. She started getting this pain (apparently ) last Wednesday afternoon, and I suddenly thought, she had her hair done on Wednesday morning and sat in a very hard wooden chair for a long time because she had it cut as well, and I did mention that to her yesterday, so maybe that's the problem from what you're saying in your post? I'm hoping so anyway.

I suppose she can't expect any other at her age, getting degenerative bone disease (like the hospital kept telling me), because when everything's else is tired and giving up, I suppose the bones are pretty worn out with it and so are bound to cause problems.

I haven't heard anything this afternoon, so that's good news, but then it's tomorrow they might get the doctor out, so we shall see.

Thanks zoby for your kindness and Heather too, sorry I forgot to mention you earlier!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »