Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Breedism for dogs!!!

I have on occasion done gundog tests at gamefairs with my Borders, they get funny looks, but the "yeah right ok whatever" look turns into "oh, well ok then so they can do it" look very quickly. Not sure how we would stand in an actual "trial" though.
Dawn.
Kady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
Thought so!

I can't find anywhere round here that I can take her to do carriage dog trials but I'd like to train her up for it! Is there a site you could direct me to for workshops? I'd love to see T do something she's bred for!

(I suppose as well she might learn to run by a bicycle if she learns to run by a carriage...)

As far as retreiving goes, Takara absolutely loves playing fetch! I've not trained her properly with a dummy or proper gundog training, but she retreives a ball (luckily she didn't follow her ball into the boating lake this morning!) so I don't agree about the retreiving (although Polka, her dad, won't play fetch).
Lottie

You could try speaking to Leanne about a horse to train her with she has a lot of horse contacts round your area as she used to compete a lot when she was younger. A lot of people start with training to follow a bike (Polka will do it & follow a horse by natural instinct) You could also go & do a search for the dalmatian carriage dog trials, there is a website but sorry don't know web address and there would be someone there that could point you in the right direction.

As for the retrieving don't forget that dallies were also used as hunting dogs in the past. I know of someone who has done a field trial test with her dally the dog did it & she got some very odd looks from the gundog folks but it can be done. If you want I could put you in touch with her!

And for the record Polka does play fetch just that he plays "Polka Fetch" which involves retrieving the toy & taking it somewhere else!!!! He always was a law unto himself something he appears to have passed onto at least one of his daughters!!! (But why did she have to be the one I kept! )

Kadyxxx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2