Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Rave :(

Before anyone jumps on me- this has not been an easy decision, in fact its one that has taken many months for me to realise/come to a decision over and has caused many tears/upset(yes I have just had a baby but it is not directly related or a case of baby in-dog out!). I am utterly devastated at doing this, but...

I have decided that as much as I love Rave I am probably not the best home for her right now.

She is a fantastic dog, but we have been having a few 'issues' that I dont believe can be resolved in my household, I'll try and list them - there are some very negative points but she has lots of positives too...

Firstly, being a young collie she is very energetic and does things at 100 miles per hour (to be expected of course) but it is now at the point where she cannot be in the same room as visitors, or even the same room as my 5 year old son as she jumps up him constantly and wraps her legs around him scratching him and making him upset (he is autistic so cant tell her not to do it) this is not aggressive at all, its her being over friendly and over the top, but I am literally having to reprimand her every minute to stop her doing it.

Secondly, she makes walks with all dogs together an issue as she constantly 'attacks' ripley (herding, chasing, nipping and slamming into - only ripley none of the others) and rip wont leave my side on walks- wont chase a ball or play with the others for fear of 'attack'. This came to a head yesterday when rave nipped ripley from behind and ripley spun around to snap at her and caught sadie instead- a huge fight ensued and both rips and sadie needed vet treatment for their injuries.
The 'attacking' happens at home and in the garden too, so the only break ripley gets is when rave is crated.

As well as the things listed above, I cant see me being able to magic the time needed to train her properly and do her justice- she is a high drive girl who needs to work and focus her energy somewhere and I just cant do that right now.

This is absolutely heartbreaking- I bred her so have literally had her since birth- and obviously as I brought her into the world I am even more responsible for her.

I'll list the basics about her below...

Black and white, rough coated WSD bitch.

11 months old, canen/astra lines and descended from Blackrobin highlander.

VERY drivey, needs to be worked in a discipline whether that be agility/ob/wt or other.
A pure pet home will not be enough for her so I will only let her go to someone who can provide the stimulation she needs.

Very friendly with dogs and could live with either sex but other dogs in household would have to be of the right temperament and tolerant of an exuberant youngster.

I wont let her go to children under the age of ten (although preferably older) and any children in the house must be dog savvy- this is purely because she is so lively and energetic.

I can be contacted via email : laylahudson@yahoo.co.uk
or telephone 07972 877734
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 03:16 PM
I am sorry, are you going to put her on WTW and Agility net?

http://www.workingtrialsworld.co.uk/Litters.html
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Oh no, I am so sorry to read this

I don't think anyone will judge you or at least I hope not. I have every faith you will do the best by Rave and find her a wonderful new home.

She is a beautiful girlie and I hope an experienced home can be found for her.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Thankyou, I have submitted her on agilitynet and will add her to WTW.

I should add that she will not be going anywhere until/if the right (100%) home is found for her.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 05:37 PM
So sorry Layla, you must be devastated! I will ask around my agility friends.
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 05:59 PM
So sorry to hear this, a very stressful situation and difficult decision you have had to make. All the best in finding her the right home xx
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 06:02 PM
It takes courage to admit that you are not the right home for her, and I hope you find the perfect place for her very soon x
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Sorry to hear things are working.... I hope she finds a lovely home soon.

*hugs*
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Oh, so sorry I know it must be so hard for you, but I am sure you will do the very best for Rave.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Oh no you poor poor thing.

I can only imagine how hard it was to right that post. It must be tearing you apart.

This is not an easy decision to make and not one that you would have come to lightly, but I think it is the best one for her, as you say you cannot just magic up the extra time needed to give her. You have just had a baby that is a full time job and needs all your focus right now.

You are doing the best for everyone concerned and are being very brave in my opinion! Chin up it will work out for everyone xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >