View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twiglet422
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Do you have a problem with age differences?

Sorry but need to ask this my b/f and i have been together for 3 years now we have our ups and downs but dosent everyone. However we have always had problems with other people especially some parts of the family because there is such an age difference between us. Is there such a problem with this? and is there anything i can do to make things better with regards to family? Its mainly his parents that have a problem but this has always been an issue.
Im getting a bit naffed off with it to be honest
Thanks
Kym
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
We are a family full of age differences
There are eight years between my boyfriend and I, eleven years between my dad and my step-mother and some six years between my mum and her partner. Some friends of mine have a twenty-three year age difference between them, but they are so happy together Mostly, no one in our family has ever batted an eyelid.

I think all you can do is let them get on with whatever their problem is and try not to let it get to you. At the end of the day, so long as you're both happy (and the age difference isn't such as to make anything between you illegal) then I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with it.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
There were 9 years between my ex and me, he was older than me and he certainly acted it.

I'm 2 years older than Clive (he constantly reminds me!) but we are really on the same wavelength, its much better for me..but each to their own, I certainly don't think people should interfere if you are both happy
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I agree!

My best mate and her hubby have 10 years between them, and she is only 12 years older than her step-daughter...

There was a bit of "talk" at first (mainly from his ex partner, not surprisingly!) but TBH, after the initial gossip, it has died down.

Please don't let it bother you! If you are both happy and secure in your relationship, it shouldn't have an impact!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
My OH is 9 years older than me. I'm 28 and he's 37. I don't think there's a problem and my family all really like him. But if I'd been 16 when I'd got together with him then it might have been different
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:54 PM
My hubby is 10 years my senior. Im 24 (25 in nov) and he is 35. I got a bit of grief from my sisters when we first got together 5 years ago (i was 19 suffering from depression), but being hoest the most comments have come from people we dont know!

John and I really bounce off each other! Im quite a mature 24year old and going out with men my own age, never really worked out for me. I couldnt me more happier and smushy then i am with John!

Dont let other people bother you. They dont know what you have or how you feel about each other
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
It really shouldn't matter......

Tell them to mind their own beeswax
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
6 years between us and i remind him everyday he;s older than me LOL
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
13 years between OH and me - we have been together 20 years now!

Age really doesn't matter its usually others that have the problem so just tell them to keep their noses out and be quiet!
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
13 years difference between me and hubby, we've been together over 25 years now, at 1st there was a lot of "it wont last - too much of an age gap" but as time has gone on they have all come round! My parents were the worse, but love him to bits now!

Ignore and prove them all wrong, that's what I say!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >