Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
That's not 100% true. By tossing the food away from the dog, at various angles, you can raise a dog's prey drive.
You do it more by throwing toys.

Food is what you get AFTER hunting, eating lowers all adrelein levels.

If you just toss food around without yourself being exciting the dog will lose drive
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2010, 08:05 AM
I was keeping out of this one but have to say something as Adam you are clearly not seeing the bigger picture.

If your dog has has bad recall train with a harness and long line much nicer than any form of electric shock. Dog gets freedom to sniff and be a dog and owner is confident and happy dog is not going to run off and get into any trouble.

You think the dog who is trained with food based rewards may also show signs of stress.

My stress head dog who will happily trot up to me when he has done something good or brave is stressed nuzzling into my hand looking at me with those big trustful eyes and madly wagging tail is stressed getting his piece of kibble or whatever sweetie I have chosen to use that day is he ?

Thats why when called he keeps running back held high tail wagging not creeping along looking from side to side wondering where the pain is going to come from and when.

You also have too account for not all breeds are all the same some breeds come immediately some breeds don't some personalities may choose to be more appeasing and do what they are asked straight away others may be more independent and need a bit more coaxing.

Shock collars are barbaric and IMO do not train a dog at all it is a cop out and the easy way rather than spending time and patience and building a bond with your dog and if you cannot train a dog without one you have no right to own a dog.

Sorry if that comes across as OTT I am feeling very emotional today and am very upset at what your poor little dog is suffering at your hands.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Why should a dog have to suffer a restricted lifestyle because its owner isn't very good at positive training?

E collars are very simple to use, much easier that purely positive methods, they are also transferbale from person to person, so the dog obeys all family members not just the one whos done it all.

The proof that positive doesn't always work is all around you!

Adam
I think it's closer to the truth to say that you are inadequate as a trainer, in that you have failed to understand and utillise positive methods. So, impatiently, you have resorted to what you think is a quick fix in e-collars, regardless of the unpleasant implications for the dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I was keeping out of this one but have to say something as Adam you are clearly not seeing the bigger picture.

If your dog has has bad recall train with a harness and long line much nicer than any form of electric shock. Dog gets freedom to sniff and be a dog and owner is confident and happy dog is not going to run off and get into any trouble.

You think the dog who is trained with food based rewards may also show signs of stress.

My stress head dog who will happily trot up to me when he has done something good or brave is stressed nuzzling into my hand looking at me with those big trustful eyes and madly wagging tail is stressed getting his piece of kibble or whatever sweetie I have chosen to use that day is he ?

Thats why when called he keeps running back held high tail wagging not creeping along looking from side to side wondering where the pain is going to come from and when.

You also have too account for not all breeds are all the same some breeds come immediately some breeds don't some personalities may choose to be more appeasing and do what they are asked straight away others may be more independent and need a bit more coaxing.

Shock collars are barbaric and IMO do not train a dog at all it is a cop out and the easy way rather than spending time and patience and building a bond with your dog and if you cannot train a dog without one you have no right to own a dog.
Lynn like many of our members you have looked upon your dog as an individual and tailored your methods of training/handling/managment to fit his needs without causing additional behavioural problems and destroying the trust which exists between you.

I guess some of us don't want 'perfect' but cowed dogs, we would rather not quash every bit of character a dog has by forcing it to submit to our every whim in an instant with the use of pain and fear. Instead we appreciate that some dogs are predisposed to certain behaviours and we work with the dog to accommodate their needs as well as our own with the use of patience,kindness and reward. For me that is what a dog/human partnership is all about.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I think it's closer to the truth to say that you are inadequate as a trainer, in that you have failed to understand and utillise positive methods. So, impatiently, you have resorted to what you think is a quick fix in e-collars, regardless of the unpleasant implications for the dog.
100% agree.........there is an old saying which is very true 'a bad workman blames his tools' AP tried +R and failed. He then did a huge jump from - I cant do +R to +R doesnt work.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
100% agree.........there is an old saying which is very true 'a bad workman blames his tools' AP tried +R and failed. He then did a huge jump from - I cant do +R to +R doesnt work.
That says it all!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I have to say after flicking through this thread I am totally confused. Maybe its just me

I honestly cannot see why using high value treats would cause stress. Excitement, happiness and the dog knowing the person they love best is happy yes. Stress no

My dogs absolutely love working with me and earning their reward be it food, ball, play, praise.

I also have a limited experience of the shock collar method. We did once volunteer to do the kitchen for a local seminar with a trainer coming from abroad. The dogs there were trained with shock collars and electric sleeves. I did not see one happy dog. Nervous, cringing robots is the only way I can describe it. It was very upsetting.
It is confusing, and one person (AP) is making it so

I wonder if the person you refer to was called Bart Bellon. I understand he has done a seminar here.

I can totally imagine the training scenario you describe.

A friend of mine in the US tried to train her dog using a trainer from one of the franchises there... the trainer told her a pack of lies, including that her dog was not scared when it started to cry, yelp, back away, etc. and was told it was just surprise.

This is what makes me so mad, because some of the innocent pet owners who are taken in tend to fall for the patter

My friend was intelligent enough, and knew her dog enough, to run away fast from the shock collar method, and using pos. methods has trained her dog beautifully and he's a credit to her.

Wys
x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
That's not 100% true. By tossing the food away from the dog, at various angles, you can raise a dog's prey drive.
ridiculous!
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:50 AM
i feel very sick and sad reading about the OPs actions. I have my 8 week old pup nestling in to my lap and 2 under 5's playing with their cars and watching chitty chitty bang bang. The 3 of them paint an image of purity, innocence and trust. To think of someone giving a dog and electric shock and stealing all of that naturally present purity, innocence and trust to make it bend to human will is barbaric to me I find it incredibly sad that this man does not understand the concept of nurturing a living being and feel even more desperate for his dogs.
I do agree with the notion that "one man's meat is another man's poison" but i do think that there are levels of cruelty that cannot be excused by mere preference....

I am a great believer in Karma.

What goes around comes around.....
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It is confusing, and one person (AP) is making it so

I wonder if the person you refer to was called Bart Bellon. I understand he has done a seminar here.

I can totally imagine the training scenario you describe.

A friend of mine in the US tried to train her dog using a trainer from one of the franchises there... the trainer told her a pack of lies, including that her dog was not scared when it started to cry, yelp, back away, etc. and was told it was just surprise.

This is what makes me so mad, because some of the innocent pet owners who are taken in tend to fall for the patter

My friend was intelligent enough, and knew her dog enough, to run away fast from the shock collar method, and using pos. methods has trained her dog beautifully and he's a credit to her.

Wys
x
Hi Wysiwyg,

I can't remember the name of the person. He came from Germany. We were upstairs doing the tea and sandwiches at an equestrian centre, so could see through a glass window, but not hear what was said.

It was awful
Closed Thread
Page 65 of 98 « First < 15 55 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 75 > Last »