Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Oh I knw how you feel babes!! I HATE leaving my lot in kennels. I usually cry!!!
Even when my hubby had a heart attack and I had to put them in kennels as I was at the hospital so much, I picked them up on the same day he got discharged on the way home from the hospital!!!
My worries however are totally unfounded as they're always really fine when I pick them up! Puttint them in together is a good idea. Also maybe take their beds with them too so they have some familiarity. Our kennels are really good and keep them occupied whilst we sneak off!!
I pay £200 for a week for 4 dogs too and that's very reasonable. Maybe taking your own food would make it a bit cheaper? Good luck babe xx
Aww thank you! Glad i'm not the only one feels that way! I don't mind paying a bit more as long as I feel I am getting a good service and that I feel confident that the dogs will be looked after properly. I'll go with the kennel I feel confident with over price, I have a wee while to save up and it will cost more than the ruddy holiday anyway, lol x
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Excellent, personal recommendation is always a good idea.
i'll email them today and get back to you
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:24 PM
oh i feel for you! i always hated leaving sam in kennels, it is a great feeling though when you get to collect them

jake hasnt been left in kennels yet... i dont know how i will cope if he ever needs to go in kennels...
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Ok so i'm going on holiday this year, for just a week and usually my dad looks after the animals or my brother or sister. This year my sister is in college, my brother in uni and my dad is too poorly with his back to walk the 4 of them, so they will need to go in kennels.

I have never put them in kennels before and aside from getting them jabbed (which I am already cringing about), I just feel so sick about leaving them and thinking of cancelling the whole thing. But I REALLY need a break, I haven't been on a proper holiday since Myles was a baby and I have NEVER been away without Myles (which is what will be happening).

Am I totally over reacting? My family think I am but they are not like us and don't seem to understand. I know a very good kennels and it has a good rep from people I have spoken to but it still scares me.

And also prices, I have no idea but is £200 (just over) a good price for my 4 for a week? (one very small 3 medium/large). The could share, I don't know how many are allowed to share? I would feel sooooo much better if I knew they were sharing and not on their own.

Anyway sorry for rambling but it's worrying me now and it's not 'til September but it will soon creep in I know!

Any advice welcome. x
Not read all the replies so excuse me if it has already been mentioned.

Leaving an animal in a boarding establishment for the first time is always daunting for the owner. However there are a couple of things one can do.

First check out all the kennels in your local area, just turn up during their opening times and ask to inspect everything. A good boarding kennels will welcome any prospective new clients and should be proud of what they have to offer.
When decided on a particular kennels take the next step and see what backup they offer,ie pet insurance which vet used etc.

Second

Try leaving the pet over a weekend first. I would recommend this if in doubt, if the dog doesn't like the kennels the proprieters can contact the owner if there is a problem. Conversely if the owner is unable to cope ( yes it does happen ) with leaving the pet for a short time they can always collect the dog and not go to having to pay for a long pet stay

Third
Recommendations every time, get knowledge from those that have used the facility, you are bound to meet fellow dog owners on your walks, ask them.

Fourth

The kennels might even decide your dog is not suitable for boarding due to ill health-old age- dislikes strangers etc.

Fifth

Be absolutely clear about the terms and conditions laid down by the boarding establishment, keep a copy of the booking and terms every time so your left in no doubt. Its no good trying to collect a pet 2/3 hours after closing time just because the kennel owners are there, business hours are usually strict except for exceptional circumstances

Random

Kennel prices can vary even in the same area , also kennels may charge for different "extras" such as giving medication -bathing/grooming and the like.
The price can also depend on facilities - overheads -staffing levels - area ( business rates) and so forth so don't go on prices alone.

Tip

Make out a list of questions prior to making any visit, you are bound to forget something you wanted to ask.

Border Dawn is my manageress (she who has to be obeyed)

Tumbleweed (Boarding Kennel and Cattery owner since 1993 , pet owner for more years than care to remember)
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Must be bonkers!!!!
I'm not denying that
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Yep!

I'll have Dusty ;o)
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:58 PM
I left mine in kennels for the first time over Christmas for a period of 3 nights. I too was so worried because I know how anxious Flynn gets when left. Anyway, I did it and i've vowed never to leave them in boarding kennels again.

I obviously chose the wrong kennels in the first place as they locked the dogs in the outside pens during the day. Normally I wouldnt be bothered but this was over Xmas when we had the horrendously cold weather! Flynn was completely hoarse when I picked him up, I assume from barking and whining so much. They didnt even ask to see any vaccination records!

I think in order to be sure you are making the right decision, you have to trust the kennels are good.
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh I know how you feel! Although Obi has been in kennels before we are changing because the last time we went they wouldnt let us put Obi in the kennel or get him out which was what had been done previously, they said they had just changed how things were done but it didnt sit right with me. Obi comes back really grumpy and tired dont know if this is something to do with there ir just that he does not ettle to well, he is back to normal after a day or two.

I went to see some last week but I wasnt sure about them, dont know what is was they were cclean and everything I just had a funny feeling about them.

Im going to see some more next week, they have a website and it looks informative so going to look in the flesh. Someone at agility uses these and I know she is very particular so we will see how they are.

I wish I had someone I know that could have him but everyone who I would leave him with has dogs and he is fear aggressive and my mam wouldnt cope with him so kennels it is!
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Oh I know how you feel! Although Obi has been in kennels before we are changing because the last time we went they wouldnt let us put Obi in the kennel or get him out which was what had been done previously, they said they had just changed how things were done but it didnt sit right with me. Obi comes back really grumpy and tired dont know if this is something to do with there or just that he does not settle too well, he is back to normal after a day or two.

I went to see some last week but I wasnt sure about them, dont know what is was they were clean and everything I just had a funny feeling about them.

Im going to see some more next week, they have a website and it looks informative so going to look in person. Someone at agility uses these and I know she is very particular and has used them many times so we will see how they are.

I wish I had someone I know that could have him but everyone who I would leave him with has dogs and he is fear aggressive and my mam wouldnt cope with him so kennels it is!
Mrs PP
New Member!
Female 

28-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Hiya,i know it's scary i work at a kennels but still hate leaving my dogs when i go away(it's only natural)!
Have a good look round the kennels you have chosen they should have kennels big enough for 4 dogs sharing. Maybe see how they get on staying over one night before your holiday. The price sounds reasonable.
Just keep thinking they have each other to keep company,and we all need a holiday!! X
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >