Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Too soon?

I've spotted a very cute little male dog identical to Maggie in a local rescue but was wondering it would be too soon to add another dog to the family, Maggie has been here seven months now and is only just coming out of her shell...would it be a recipe for disaster?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 10:19 AM
If she's only just coming out of her shell then I'd leave it to be honest.
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks, that's probably what I need to hear, I HAVE to stop looking, lol.
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-09-2011, 10:29 AM
It's hard enough training one dog so leave it until Maggie is 18 months IMO
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Maggie is at least four, she was a stray.
I always feel sorry for her as I really believe she once lived with other small dogs. she's very polite and once she's 'approved' of the dog will run away in an attempt to get the other dog to play.
My sons friend bought his dog round briefly a few days ago and Maggie was crying when they left.
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
It depends on what her anxieties are but well done you for the rescue. You think it's too soon though otherwise you wouldn't have asked
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't really ever advise getting another dog *for* another dog - get another dog because you want one and are ready. If Maggie has issued being left alone (just for example, don't know if she has) but is OK with another dog for company, then you're best to teaching her it's OK to be alone before you add another dog - because you'll make things harder for yourself in the long run when the second dog needs to stay at the vets overnight or something. If she's not great with other dogs, then another dog that's not great with other dogs could make the situation ten times worse, etc.
However, another dog in the house could make a nice companion, and help bring her out of her shell a bit. If Maggie doesn't have any major issues and you're prepared for the extra work of having two dogs, what about contacting the rescue to see what they think?
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I would love two, trouble is Magz is the easiest dog ever (that's coming from someone who's never owned dogs before, well not as an adult) I'm worried she's lulled me into a false sense of security.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 05:15 PM
You sound like you want to be talked out of this, maybe next year would be better.