View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
OOPS! Sorry Malpeki I see you are talking about GERMANY. My post here concerns the UK.

Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
WTF!!!

I'm really happy, that I'm living in a more civilized country!

over here no vet would put down a healthy dog for absolutely NO reason!
as if he would, he would lose his licence and could close down his doctor's surgery and lookung for another job, maybe as a bin lorry driver

also no animal would be allowed to get buried at a human cementary

so this scum bags had could think about, how to fulfil the last wish of that blind woman, who obviously suffered from brain cancer

and what an unbelievable egoism and an ice cold heart that woman must have had

that dog had still could help an another blind for years and had could fill up their life with joy
Apparently not so according to this:

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/...#axzz2PWiDiGt9

Isn't it also still the case that some healthy animals are PTS if they end up in rescues?

Editing to add this link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-healthy.html

The RSPCA destroys nearly half the animals it ‘rescues’ each year, with thousands being put down for non-medical reasons, shocking figures obtained by The Mail on Sunday reveal.
The animal-welfare charity destroyed 53,000 animals last year – 44 per cent of those it took in – leading critics to claim that the organisation spends too much time on prosecuting cases of neglect and cruelty and not enough on finding new homes for animals.
The charity insists the vast majority of the animals were put down to end their suffering, but it admits that last year alone 3,400 animals were destroyed for ‘non-medical’ reasons, such as the lack of space in kennels and catteries.
There are countries like Turkey and Northern Cyprus (TRNC) here who will not euthanize healthy dogs (you'd have problems getting them to PTS a dog that was ill and obviously suffering). But the UK is not one of them.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Umm just remember folks, this was in the Daily Mail - don't believe everything you read. The article states the original reporting site have taken down the story with no comment, and the funeral home haven't commented...so no real corroboration of what actually happened. The circumstances might have been very different to what is described. Just saying.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jacsicle View Post
Umm just remember folks, this was in the Daily Mail - don't believe everything you read. The article states the original reporting site have taken down the story with no comment, and the funeral home haven't commented...so no real corroboration of what actually happened. The circumstances might have been very different to what is described. Just saying.
Very true But if there is any truth to this story what a dreadful waste of a wonderful working highly trained dog who could have given another blind person 'vision'.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jacsicle View Post
It was widely reported and a vet from the practice is named and made a statement.

I understood that the story was taken down due to death threats to family members and also the vet.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm not saying it didnt happen, just that the circumstances might not be as reported in rather sensationalist papers. Just keeping an open mind really.
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2013, 09:05 PM
i agree we dont know the circumstances fully, the womans dead and not able to defend her reasons, i dont trust papers.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
OOPS! Sorry Malpeki I see you are talking about GERMANY. My post here concerns the UK.

Apparently not so according to this:

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/...#axzz2PWiDiGt9

Isn't it also still the case that some healthy animals are PTS if they end up in rescues?

Editing to add this link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-healthy.html

There are countries like Turkey and Northern Cyprus (TRNC) here who will not euthanize healthy dogs (you'd have problems getting them to PTS a dog that was ill and obviously suffering). But the UK is not one of them.
no, it's not allowed to bury an animal on an cementary for humans, but we do get more and more cementaries for our pets everywhere

about that pts an an healthy animal...
according to the German animal protection act, it isn't allowed
but lets say, where no complainant is, there is no judge, like everywhere

but I heard, in some areas they pts quite a few dogs, "dogs of the list", fighting dogs/breeds, which aren't banned over here but has to get through an "test of their being", if they are potentially aggressive, dangerous (bred by the breeder, or made by the owner) they were pts by the gouvernment, though they were healthy (physically)
Jessiesdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-04-2013, 06:21 AM
A healthy 3 year old Springer was PTS not long ago, in the UK, because she kept going to the toilet indoors and her so called owners thought she was doing it on purpose to be malicious. WTF!!!
When the vets went to weigh her she was so scared she wet herself.
What kind of people are there out there? Makes me want to puke when I hear about things like this.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2013, 08:18 AM
I dont know about the US, but from my understanding guide dogs in the UK remain the possession of the guide dog society, they are only ever "placed" with their charges, and when no longer needed (or retired) they are re-homed by the society (or kept by the owner).

So from this story I take it they own the dog and can do what they like with it, if not surely the society will have something to say !!

Regarding vets not putting healthy dogs down, ofcouse they do, every day, just look at that amount of dogs from rescues that are PTS daily, who do you think does it!

Plus if Joe blogs takes their healthy pet to the vet to be PTS, all they have to do is come up with a story...........i.e this dog bit my child or such like, they vet can only act on the story they get.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I dont know about the US, but from my understanding guide dogs in the UK remain the possession of the guide dog society, they are only ever "placed" with their charges, and when no longer needed (or retired) they are re-homed by the society (or kept by the owner).

So from this story I take it they own the dog and can do what they like with it, if not surely the society will have something to say !!

Regarding vets not putting healthy dogs down, ofcouse they do, every day, just look at that amount of dogs from rescues that are PTS daily, who do you think does it!

Plus if Joe blogs takes their healthy pet to the vet to be PTS, all they have to do is come up with a story...........i.e this dog bit my child or such like, they vet can only act on the story they get.
Quite. And I've worked with rescues whose mantra says they never put any animals to sleep but this is because they know they will lose a lot of funding from sweet little old ladies who make generous contribs and bequests in their wills if they DID put any animals to sleep.

Whereas the truth is they would like to do it because it's just fact that some animals would be better off being PTS than staying in rescue for the rest of their lives and of course the practical problem of becoming full and having no room for new incomers.

I don't have strong objections to a sensible policy of euthanasia. I do have objections to someone being able to demand that if they die their dog dies too. Especially if there are others who are more than willing to take it in and I am sure that is the case with a trained Guide Dog.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >