Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sidkaf
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Shedding dog

Hi all!

I have been sleepless/restless for a week now, after deciding to keep my foster dog. I didn't really think this through...just kinda fell in love and decided to "go for it". She is an absolute sweetie, and lovely in so many ways. However, I have two major problems...one of which I will discuss on this forum.

My girl is an Australian Heeler/Dalmation/Shepherd (?) mix. She is white with adorable black patches and spots covering her face and body. I didn't notice it at first, as the signs weren't so clear, but she sheds profusely. As my bed quilt is white, I didn't see a problem, initially. However, it has become a major issue since taking her in the car, and visiting friends and family.

Her white hair is all over my black car interior, and dark grey couch. Both of which (or as best I can) I have covered with sheets. The main problem is that she is not welcome everywhere I go, because of the remnants left behind. My mother asks that I NOT bring her when I visit, and other friends have commented on the hairs left behind.

I have always had Terriers, which didn't shed, so never really even dealt with this situation. I am a throw your dog in the car kinda gal...always together. The second part of my dilemma is that she is a terrible traveler, but I'll save that for a different forum.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding the shedding, I would love to hear from you. I have tried the furminator, which unfortunately, did not even begin to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might offer!

Sidney
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
There is an anti-moult oil you can get but don't know how good it is and don't think it's beneficial due to the hair obviously being left on their bodies.

With Millie, i use a rubber curry comb (the ones used on horse), using circular motions you can get an AWFUL lot of hair off the dog and i also use it on the carpet as it's much better than the hoover.
You can also 'pluck' the dog (some don't like it) but it worked on Millie when i lost the curry comb, just gently grasp bits of the fur and tug (not enough to hurt the dog) and you should get hair off that way.
The curry comb is definately worth a go (they're only around £2) and as i say can be used on the dog and carpets etc.
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
I have just got a Furminater de shedding tool (comb), you can get for short or long haired dogs - its brilliant !!! not cheap but worth every penny x