Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 07:55 PM

Cheap frisbees

I bought a cheap frisbee for Polo. It is basically just a pliable plastic ring.

I took him out for a game with it today and he caught it in his mouth in an upright position, and cut his mouth. There was blood everywhere!

He is fine but do you think it is the design and another type would be safer?
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2012, 10:07 PM
It could be cheaper so less durable, i know kong have thier own frisbees which are squishier and less likely to fracture and break off.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-11-2012, 11:16 PM
I would go with a Kong Flyer as well, because those cheapie ones are often manufactured in China and I wouldn't trust how safe their plastics are (because cutting down costs is the most important thing for them).

Kong products are usually made from natural rubber
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Ah the Kong flyer looks good! Perhaps Father Christmas will buy him one. (aka the other half)
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2012, 03:18 PM
I got Ollie an Orka Flyer, it is made with gel and works great as he too is one to catch it and I was worried he might cut his mouth.

I picked it up at pets at home, was same price as the kong flyer but seemed to fly better as it is not as flexible, and yes I did try out both in store! lol
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
I got Ollie an Orka Flyer, it is made with gel and works great as he too is one to catch it and I was worried he might cut his mouth.

I picked it up at pets at home, was same price as the kong flyer but seemed to fly better as it is not as flexible, and yes I did try out both in store! lol
I'll have a look out for that, it sounds good.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I had a cheap one for Oscar (my Son) ages ago but it wasn't plastic, it was quite strong rubber. The dogs love it. It's about 5 years old, has a few dozen visible teeth dents but they only get to play with it one at a time, in the park under supervision. No chance to chew any pieces off or for it to break and cut them.

I may also invest in the flyer for Xmas for them. But for those who find Kong products a little pricey, I'd certainly recommend the rubber frisbee. Unfortunately I bought it from Woolworths not long before they closed permanently and I don't know where else they can be purchased.