Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rottie boy.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-11-2012, 05:51 PM

Is it fair to muzzle

got me thinking on my walk today,if my dog is onlead,and totally under control,is it fair on him to have a muzzle on?firstly for his comfort,secondly for his own chance to defend himself from another dog which is offlead and attacks him.now my dog is very friendly,so it doesnt apply to him,but wondered if i would muzzle him if he wasnt..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Personally I think if your dog is on a lead or under close control and someone else's dog comes into his space and gets what for, then that is the fault of the other dog's owner for not having their own dog under control.

I wouldn't muzzle one of my dogs if they were a) friendly or b) dog aggressive but always under proper and close control.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 06:04 PM
I would rather a dog aggressive dog was muzzled than have to spend it's life on lead or worse still never go out.

btw welcome to the forum
Rottie boy.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I would rather a dog aggressive dog was muzzled than have to spend it's life on lead or worse still never go out.

btw welcome to the forum
thanks nippy...glad to be here
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I've often thought about it with my *iffy* gsd, but then she's only *iffy* when an aggressive dog charges up to her to have a pop, otherwise, she's absolutely fine with all friendly dogs, so I prefer to use the lead and she's 100% obedient with a wait or a recall, so it's not a problem, she would never, ever go towards another dog.

I do worry if I ever muzzled her that she couldn't defend herself from some other stupid owner's dog who decides to pick a fight with her which has happened on numerous occasions when she is always onlead anyway, so unmuzzled she will stay.

Apart from the vets that is, she would want to eat one of those!
Rottie boy.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've often thought about it with my *iffy* gsd, but then she's only *iffy* when an aggressive dog charges up to her to have a pop, otherwise, she's absolutely fine with all friendly dogs, so I prefer to use the lead and she's 100% obedient with a wait or a recall, so it's not a problem, she would never, ever go towards another dog.

I do worry if I ever muzzled her that she couldn't defend herself from some other stupid owner's dog who decides to pick a fight with her which has happened on numerous occasions when she is always onlead anyway, so unmuzzled she will stay.

Apart from the vets that is, she would want to eat one of those!
same as mine,loves people....dogs.....only thing he hates is a vet...and has to be muzzled..
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Hi, a baskerville muzzle stops your dog getting in trouble with the law, allows it to breath and pant.
Because it looks like a muzzle other dog owners are more careful.
I agree people should not let thier dogs run up to dogs on lead, but they do and thats no reason to risk a bite.
Lets keep all the dogs safe.
This only is for a dog with issues as a guide I use to cliients with problems.
I dont see why any dog without aggression, regardless of the breed should wear a muzzle.
Dave
Rottie boy.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by dave olley View Post
Hi, a baskerville muzzle stops your dog getting in trouble with the law, allows it to breath and pant.
Because it looks like a muzzle other dog owners are more careful.
I agree people should not let thier dogs run up to dogs on lead, but they do and thats no reason to risk a bite.
Lets keep all the dogs safe.

Dave
tbh dave,thats just the point...are we keeping our own dog safe by muzzling them,they are then defenceless against an attack from an aggresive off lead dog.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Well put it this way, it's not unfair/cruel to muzzle if you need to.
My dog aggressive GSD is muzzled for her own good as much as anyone else's.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 08:25 PM
if i was worried my dog was going to bite other dogs/people for no reason she would be muzzeled in puplic but as we stay as far away from anyone and anything as possible due to her nerves it wouldnt really be needed.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >