Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why do you assume that because a dog is barking it is vicious?

My Yorkie barks at other dogs on lead not because she is vicious but because she is scared. Unfortunately many large out of control dogs have ran up and tried to flatten her, so as far as she is concerned offense is the best defense. Off lead she ignores other dogs completely.

I expect this fear reaction is pretty common in small breeds. If I put myself in their shoes and frequently had massive people running up towards me attempting to leap on me and sniff my nether regions, I would probably yell bloody murder to keep them away from me.

There are no more out of control toy breeds than any other.
Well thank heavens for some common sense view on this.

As for thinking a barking dog is a VICIOUS dog. And talk of big dogs 'defending themselves' against tiny toy dogs - I am wondering what sort of vicious attacks these tiny dogs have made on the big dogs that need to defend - or are they just defending themselves against a yapping, barking toy dog?

Seems there is no END to the problems of walking a dog in a lot of places in the UK these days.

I feel so fortunate that I don't suffer from any of these problems and double blessed that I have a mini dog that is well behaved and doesn't run around savaging GSDs, Staffies and the like!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2012, 08:45 AM
a class a barking dog charging to the end of its lead barking aggeressively is barking - it is irrelevant if a small dog that bites a big dog doesnt cause much damage - sorry but tough if a dog no matter what size it is bites mine I will let them defend their selfs - dogs dont see size they just see another dog attacking them
why is it different a yapping small dog to a large one? size is irrelevant keep it under control and stop it barking at others
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-08-2012, 09:56 AM
My whole point, a large dog barking and charging to the end of its lead is totally unacceptable in my book,so why is it OK for a small breed, in fact it is practically the norm,I once was walking along the main road in the town near I live and a dog came round the corner, no owner - because it was on an extending lead and the owner had let it out to its full extent and was someway behind, immediately it starts yapping, and I had a heart stopping moment when I literally had to jump into the middle of the road to avert disaster, no apology from the other owner,she picked the dog up, glared and walked on
I am glad to hear there are small dog owners who are interested in controlling their dogs, the 2 yorkies and shih-tzu who live a few roads away bark all day, I know it drives the neighbours out of their minds because they have told me, not saying my dogs never bark, they do, but they know the command 'Quiet' and I can't remember the last time they barked at another dog, probably when they were puppies and didn't know any better. The lady waiting for the bus had no idea how to stop her dogs barking, which was the point I was making, I was hoping it would sink in and she would do something about it, but very little chance of that happening I would imagine
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

As for thinking a barking dog is a VICIOUS dog. And talk of big dogs 'defending themselves' against tiny toy dogs - I am wondering what sort of vicious attacks these tiny dogs have made on the big dogs that need to defend - or are they just defending themselves against a yapping, barking toy dog?
!
Of course, a barking dog isn't necessarily vicious, but even the biggest dog has no perception of size, it doesn't think " that dog's tiny, it can't hurt me " .
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2012, 10:27 AM
I suppose I could be classified as a typical small dog owner in that I'm elderly and have a small dog. I didn't buy my Tibetan Spaniel Chloe because I wanted a substitute baby but because living on my own in a fairly isolated location I wanted a small watch dog and a larger guard dog.

Being the first time owner of a tiny dog (Chloe's the size of a cat) has been a real eye opener for me. Not because she was any different from other dogs apart from her size but because OP's and other dogs attitudes towards her were quite bizarre. From day one everyone we met wanted to pick her up and handle her as if she was a fluffy toy and I got sick of saying " Do NOT pick my dog up!".

Off leash dogs were also a problem as possibly because of her colour (she's white and gold) they could spot her from a mile off and would rush up to her no doubt thinking she's make a tasty snack and more than once the only way I saved her from being attacked was by picking her up.

Amazingly at 3 years old she's not only survived but become a well balanced dog who's very good at doing the job for which she was bought.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Of course, a barking dog isn't necessarily vicious, but even the biggest dog has no perception of size, it doesn't think " that dog's tiny, it can't hurt me " .
I think you've misunderstood me. What I am saying is that I do not think because a dog is BARKING at another dog it is the same as a dog ATTACKING another dog.

And I do not interpret a dog barking as meaning that the next thing it is going to do is ATTACK.

So - I was asking, in relation to big dogs 'defending themselves' against smaller dogs - does that mean defending themselves against a smaller dog barking? Or a smaller dog BITING them?

A dog that barks doesn't deserve to be attacked on account of it barking.

Anyway I've just had the most pleasant hour or so walking my dog along the towpath here in Bath, around a park and back along the towpath. Met a gorgeous rescue greyhound and its owners, a dozen or so friendly people and kids and courteous cyclists who actually THANKED me as they rode past because I called Bella to one side when I saw them.

I think my experience walking a dog is different to lots of others because I am as confident as I can be that my dog will never go for or attack another dog, or jump all over a child, or get in the way of cyclists and will stay close to me and stop and come when called - in short a REAL PLEASURE to be out with.

I've only been back in the UK just over 2 weeks and have walked my dog every day in Hants, Berks and now Somerset without a single untoward incident - she has been to several riverside pubs with us, to the crowded town centre (something I never do in Cyprus), on trains and buses and in fact other members of my family have walked her too and taken her running with them and all sorts and they've had no horrible times either.

I just can't relate at all to all these stories of stress and angst walking dogs. And I've owned dogs for 30 odd years of my adult life. Admittedly never in an inner city area but then I don't want to live in an inner city area myself, let alone with a dog.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
if they are under control and friendly i dont have an issue but unfortunately they are not near me must be a Manchester thing aggressive toys and small breeds
I think it could well be area dependent. I had the same problem in the same general area in Manchester. Lots of aggressive, out of control small dogs. Yet in another area it was lots of aggressive, out of control bull breeds.

And talk of big dogs 'defending themselves' against tiny toy dogs - I am wondering what sort of vicious attacks these tiny dogs have made on the big dogs that need to defend
Well I had a Shih Tzu latch on to my dogs throat. Damn right I considered it him defending himself when he bit back before I could get involved.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I think you've misunderstood me. What I am saying is that I do not think because a dog is BARKING at another dog it is the same as a dog ATTACKING another dog.

And I do not interpret a dog barking as meaning that the next thing it is going to do is ATTACK.

So - I was asking, in relation to big dogs 'defending themselves' against smaller dogs - does that mean defending themselves against a smaller dog barking? Or a smaller dog BITING them?

A dog that barks doesn't deserve to be attacked on account of it barking.

Anyway I've just had the most pleasant hour or so walking my dog along the towpath here in Bath, around a park and back along the towpath. Met a gorgeous rescue greyhound and its owners, a dozen or so friendly people and kids and courteous cyclists who actually THANKED me as they rode past because I called Bella to one side when I saw them.

I think my experience walking a dog is different to lots of others because I am as confident as I can be that my dog will never go for or attack another dog, or jump all over a child, or get in the way of cyclists and will stay close to me and stop and come when called - in short a REAL PLEASURE to be out with.

I've only been back in the UK just over 2 weeks and have walked my dog every day in Hants, Berks and now Somerset without a single untoward incident - she has been to several riverside pubs with us, to the crowded town centre (something I never do in Cyprus), on trains and buses and in fact other members of my family have walked her too and taken her running with them and all sorts and they've had no horrible times either.

I just can't relate at all to all these stories of stress and angst walking dogs. And I've owned dogs for 30 odd years of my adult life. Admittedly never in an inner city area but then I don't want to live in an inner city area myself, let alone with a dog.
I don't think your experience of dog walking is that unusual tbh. Having 6 dogs of various sizes that are walked for miles every day and owning dogs my entire life I can probably count any dodgy doggy encounters in all that time on one hand.
Zeus The Moose
New Member!
Male 

12-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
can i ask the toy breed owners on here to get a general opinion
in my area we have a number of toy breed owners that own aggressive dogs, walk them on extending leads and they seem to think it is exceptable for their dogs to attack/or go for other dogs and people, but as soon as a larger dog defends themselves it is then the larger dogs fault
recent case is a greyhound defending itself from a yorkshire terrier the yt is one one the most aggressive dogs in my area, it has even ran up my drive to try and bite me, now the yt owner wants to prosecute the elderly greyhound and his elderly owner, the greyhound is one of the most placid and friendly dogs in my area.

do you think it is acceptable for small and toy breeds to be so aggressive?
I dont as far as I am concerned a dog is a dog no matter what size it is and it should be under control and none aggressive to others using the public highway

We got one of our Chis when he was a baby and we socialized and trained him, so he's great . We got the other one a year later and worked very hard at getting him socialized but he's just never been as comfortable in public, and never as obediant , so he's a bit of a problem , socially. I always have then on a short leash and harness in public , and make them sit and stay first when other dogs are around . I wasn't really a dog person but I learned how to be a decent owner . I have to say, most people we see out in public with small dogs have obviously not taken the time and effort to raise nice dogs. The one who's insecure and aggressive out in the world is the mellower one at home. I know what he's like around other dogs and people though, and I know how to deal with it . He's excitable at first but calms down after some dog introductions , and he's nice enough with people too (no biting) . Lots and lots of people they meet tell us that they have Chis at home but never take them out because thay are too mean .
Self-explanatory post...

Dar
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't have a problem with any dog barking. Alot of dogs have issues, big or small, I am talking about out of control dogs actually be allowed to make contact with mine.

Skye will bark at another dog if it barks at her but she is always under control and would never attack another dog anyway.

In my area we have had alot of instances where small dogs have actually run up to Ivan off lead, them not him, and snapped at him and some actually bit him!

The owners do not even apologise and find it funny that they would try to "take him on" He is always on lead and never let to defend himself, not that he has ever even tried.

I find this unacceptable, that these owners think its funny just because their dog is small and mine is big.

I have a toy dog and a giant breed, I can see both sides!
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »