View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Just to add to the horror I have my bissel carpet washer out today to do all the carpets, can recommend the bissel it's fantastic for getting any stains up and a having a good all round clean and freshen.

I was thinking about the comment about wash day being once a week years ago too, and remembering how it went in our house, Nan up at crack of dawn boiling tubs of water carrying them into the shed out the back and then washing all day, (there were 7 of us at home) sometimes up to 17 loads on that one day. I also remember our first automatic front loader and her joy at being able to wash everyday instead of that back breaking once a week !
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey! No fair! I was outbid!
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2013, 07:37 PM
That's no good, you'll have to keep an eye out for another.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 10:41 PM
We do laundry about twice weekly, sometimes three times. We never, ever use the machine if we don't have a full load as that is wasteful.

We use a washboard and do one item washables by hand and air dry whenever possible, only using the dryer with full loads as well. I never intended to insult anybody, but it is just my mindset that that much washing (with the machine) is unnecessary and wasteful.

But I guess if I had kids that didn't use the bathroom only in the proper place, dogs that did the same, and spilled food/drink at each meal... maybe I'd use the machines more often (though likely not).
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Myra, unless things have drastically changed, when I visited my sister in the US I saw that washing machines there are much larger and have a much greater capacity than those in the UK. The same went for tumble dryers.

It is, therefore, not possible to compare a full load in an American washing machine to a full load in a British washing machine [or dryer].

You/your family do washing when you have a full machine load. Julie does the same.

And so do I.

Now, whether Julie wants to do her laundry once, twice, ten times a day, has nothing to do with subject of this thread, and it also is none of your business.

Perhaps you would also call me OCD because of the number of times a day I wash my hands. Or the number of showers I have each day.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Also have to say I have MS I could no more use a wash board than fly unaided, and here in a flat we have no where to hang washing to dry unless we let our flats become damp and mouldy hence most of us have tumble driers and those who don't take their washing to the launderette in town.

Really though beggars belief a thread I tried to help on has become about my washing habits.

Shower twice a day too bet that will be wrong too.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Getting back to animals and their odd drinking habits. Dougal isn't a messy drinker but he drinks loads, then licks and licks his lips till he gives an eye watering water belch. Yuck.

My cat has a really odd thing though, she pats the water to make sure it's there
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Marco is similar in that he sometimes seems to just gulp forever, was a big shock watching him drink after having had Tangle who used to do a few dainty laps.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Malka... I never tried to start this argument. I merely said that it was strange and then it spiraled into an argument. Also, as for things being my business, you can drop that argument when on a public forum. I already said that I didn't know her, and what she did was her own business.. so whatever.

As for anything else... it's no longer relevant as like another user said, derailed the entire topic, which often happens when I get to commenting but still doesn't stop me from saying what I feel, and never will, no matter how many arguments I get into on this site... so there.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Getting back to animals and their odd drinking habits. Dougal isn't a messy drinker but he drinks loads, then licks and licks his lips till he gives an eye watering water belch. Yuck.

My cat has a really odd thing though, she pats the water to make sure it's there
My cat does that, too. And then flicks the water off her paw, and then drinks. I thought only my cat did that!
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >