Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-03-2012, 12:15 AM

Dog Fostering...

has anyone done this?

been considering this for a while now (especially with staffie charities in Scotland) and finally thinking about getting the ball rolling.

any information and advice appreciated...
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2012, 01:05 AM
You could get in touch with Staffordshire Rescue Scotland, even if just to discuss the prospect of fostering im sure they would be able to help. I would love to foster but still living with the parents means have to follow their rules :/ best of luck
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-03-2012, 01:25 AM
hey yea I've been on their site and another similar one.. just looking for experiences from people who have done it really..
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi i have done it for rspca and beagle welfare for last 3 years on and off what is it that you want to know ?
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by EgyptGal View Post
Hi i have done it for rspca and beagle welfare for last 3 years on and off what is it that you want to know ?
just general info really, how hard is it to let them go? (I'll end up with a house full because I cant say goodbye haha) costs, I read that the costs are covered, is that true of all places? obviously wouldn't mind paying for food etc.. what do they check for in the home check? I don't have a garden but I love walking and often head out for hours at a time, so I don't see it as a problem..
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by jade the sbt View Post
just general info really, how hard is it to let them go? (I'll end up with a house full because I cant say goodbye haha) costs, I read that the costs are covered, is that true of all places? obviously wouldn't mind paying for food etc.. what do they check for in the home check? I don't have a garden but I love walking and often head out for hours at a time, so I don't see it as a problem..
OK the first dog was hard to let go but had she been a complete nightmare like my 2nd may not have been the case ! lol different rescues work in diff ways with regards to costs so you need to speak to those that you are thinking of and ask, Not sure how a rescue will look at the fact that you have no garden , a lot of dogs that you get may not be housetrained so will involve lots of coming and going if you are to teach them to be clean .....you need to speak to someone at the rescue and mull over after they say if you can foster or not : ) good luck.
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-03-2012, 03:28 PM
ok thank you I'll give em a ring next week, also getting a puppy this weekend so need to get her acclimatised too.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by jade the sbt View Post
ok thank you I'll give em a ring next week, also getting a puppy this weekend so need to get her acclimatised too.
Yes would give her a while to settle befor getting another in we had a puppy in september and not getting back into fostering untill april
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2012, 03:36 PM
most fostering in my area requiers a fenced yard,dog experience a must, and your time avalible,are some factors.food is usally payd buy the foster person,and vet bills as well,generally its all your dog untill there is a home found,i work with, maritime pit project, look them up, and brows though the foster section,it will give you an idea of what is expected,and on that you must be prepared for anything,behavuior,sep anxiety,illness,total dog management, above the norm,stuff..iv got 1 dogo male here with me now for 12 days, who i only put him with one of my own..iv got 3 others...seperation is taxing,,,but if you love dogs like i do ,you will get a charge out of of it...to see a dog get the best, is very rewarding..as far as home check, you should have a bottom line...mine is a fence..then i look at other things..all the normal stuff you would want...i hope you do this and have fun at it. i do and it makes me a better person
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-03-2012, 03:37 PM
yea found out she's dog aggressive today, but as she's only 13 weeks I want to get her around other dogs so she can grow up with them around... much work ahead of me lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >