Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2015, 02:05 PM

Misrepresentation of dog food ingredients

No surprise; there is some misrepresentation in ingredients. However, looks like it is much more frequent than I would have expected. See

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0326112842.htm

extract relating to one of the four studies reviewed:

Most recently, a comprehensive study published in the journal Food Control examined the content of 52 brands of commercial dog and cat food using DNA analysis. Results: Of the 52 products, 31 (60 %) had no labeling violations, meaning that the protein ingredients that were reported in the ingredient list completely matched the sources that were identified via DNA analysis. However, 21 brands (40 %) contained protein sources that were not listed on the ingredient list or in one case, a protein source that could not be identified. In three of these products, the protein source listed on the ingredient panel was entirely absent from the food. Chicken was the most commonly undeclared protein source in the mislabeled foods.

Bottom line . . . if you think your dog has food allergies, don't trust all the novelty foods coming out under less-established brand names.

Unfortunately, the offending brand names are not reported.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Are you at all surprised by this? I'm not. One well known (and expensive) brand uses bird feathers as a protein derivative
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Are you at all surprised by this? I'm not. One well known (and expensive) brand uses bird feathers as a protein derivative
If you're into prey model, bird feathers are probably a good inclusion.

I'm more suspicious of supposed 'duck' that is actually the unmarketable remains from US factory farmed chicken . . . and venison that may be ???

minimize production cost = mystery meat galore
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Yeah, there is misrepresentation in many foods, not just dog food. Ingredients such as "natural flavor" and "chicken derivatives" along with "animal digest" are ambiguous and leave margins for inclusions of not-so-savory ingredients. Unless we can break down every bit of everything thing we eat and feed our dogs, we're guaranteed to consume some stuff we don't want to. Imo, however, in a world full of smokers, etc. It hardly makes a difference what might be hidden in food. It's extremely unhealthy just to breathe the air.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Feathers are a good ingredient - sandgrubber points out if you feed prey model, then you will be feeding feathers - which is good - as a source of fibre, NOT as a source of protein. Nothing wrong with our dogs eating feathers, but no-one should be fooled into thinking that they are any sort of protein substitute.

I personally do not feed my dog on anything out of a packet, and I apply the same rules to myself - with the exception of tea, coffee, nuts, seeds, flour, sugar. We all try to stick to a diet on a little meat, lots of fish, some chicken and tons of vegetables, especially salads.

All washed down with a few glasses of vino!!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Very funny. Love the vino that could have all sorts in it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Very funny. Love the vino that could have all sorts in it.
Exactly! That is where my diet goes belly up ... I eat an extremely healthy diet, but sadly drink far too much alcohol!! A girl has got to have some pleasures in life! I drink too much coffee too!