Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2015, 11:36 PM

Foggy Eye - 3 1/2 year old Mastiff

Hi fellow dog lovers, I have a question for anyone who has ever experienced sudden onset of a foggy eye in their dog. Or anyone who happens to know anything about this.

My 3 1/2 year old male English Mastiff seems to have a blue-ish smoky color film covering only his left eye. It was first noticed last night (Did it only just show up yesterday though.. I have no idea unfortunately)
It doesn't seem to be bothering him, and as far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any vision loss.
I don't have any guess as to what this could be (first thought was cataract. But at 3 1/2 I would imagine that's unlikely)
If anyone has any information on, or experience with this I would greatly appreciate it.
If it doesn't clear up within the next few days I will be booking him in with our vet.
Until then though are there any safe home remedies I can try? anything to watch out for that could mean its progressing? What sort of treatment will we be looking at if this requires vet attention?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

*I tried to get a picture to help but he turns away or leaves every time the camera comes out haha*
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2015, 12:37 AM
Hi.I wouldn't try any home remedies Untill a vet had a chance to have a look,could be doing more harm than good.Admit to being over cautious when it comes to eyes,due to my dog losing one of her's to an ulcer,but I think the sooner the better with the vet visit.For now,just watch he isn't scratching or rubbing at it.Better safe than sorry and the sooner the better would be my advice.Good luck,hope he's ok xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Hello Kimberly
As Lacey says I would not touch the eye in this instance but would see a vet ASAP.

Hope all goes well
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Please take your dog to the vet asap. It could be due to something simple or serious like keratitis or pannusis both of which needs professional treatment.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2015, 02:42 PM
I agree, don't mess around with eyes. There could be several possible causes for this condition. It needs professional diagnosis.
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses..I agree completely he needs medical attention. However our vet is incredibly busy all the time and I don't have a choice but to wait a few days unfortunately. Was hoping to learn a little more about possible issues or what hes looking at having done once in the vet from others who have experience..
Definitely not trying to avoid medical attention. Im one of those people that will run my dogs to the vet anytime ANYTHING comes up haha. Over cautious is better then risking it as far as im concerned.
Did not intend for my original post to come across like I was looking to just fix it at home and avoid the vet. Thought maybe there was something to make him more comfortable or to hold off potential infection that I could start at home before his appointment comes up.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2015, 11:41 PM
MGB,you're original post didn't come across like that at allClearly very concerned and trying to do the very best for your boy.How is he btw?
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Hi MGB! It could be sclerosis-- a general hardening of tissues in the eye that affects many dogs, and humans too, in older age. It can affect younger dogs too and is not uncommon in mastiffs. It isn't harmful or painful, just a little smudging.

Do get a vet to check him up.Hopefully it's nothing worse than this!
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Thank you all for your responses, Lacey10 - thanks for asking he seems to be doing really well. Vet appt coming up in a few days. The eye doesn't seem to be bothering or affecting him in any way. Honestly if we hadn't seen it at an exact angle under certain lighting I don't know that I would know about it even now.

And Strangechilde I just did a little research on lenticular sclerosis and that does sound a lot like what he has going on! His seems to be covering the entire iris though not just the pupil (not sure how familiar you are with the condition.. but is this a possibly fairly normal as well?)
Thanks so much
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2015, 05:42 PM
It is quite normal! Two of my three have it, and it does look like it's covering the entire iris, but obviously you see it more clearly in the pupil. With mine it's almost undoubtedly age-related-- one is just shy of 15; the other is probably somewhere between 10 and 12, but we don't know. They can both see just fine (Little Dog routinely tracks tiny insects). There isn't really anything you can do about it, and it isn't harmful in terms of them getting on with their lives, so if it is that, you don't need to worry... so I hope that is indeed what it is! Please let us know what your vet says!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >