Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Glo
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2015, 05:51 PM

Dog epilepsy and food

Hi everybody I have just joined as I was reading the posts about dog food for epileptic dogs. It's a mind field out there and I am always looking for some help. My French Bulldog is 20 months old and has had seizures since he turned one. He is one medication but still has seizures, he had 5 Sunday night.
At the moment I am feeding him Gentle dog food, but am always looking on websites to see if there is something else I should be feeding him.
Glo
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Hello Gloria I am sorry to hear about your little dog.
As with many conditions I would go for a food with a minimum of additives and looking at the content of 'Gentle' it looks ok.

Some owners of epileptic dogs go for a 'raw' diet but it isn't for everyone ..
Here is some information on a raw diet ...

A rough BARF guide
Glo
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Hello Meg
Thanks for your answer, I thought Gentle looked ok as well, but would like to give something else for a change. Have been looking at Lilys Kitchen, maybe a little of the wet. He wouldn't care what he has, eats anything and everything.
Meg
Supervisor

16-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Hi Gloria I have read that Rosemary is best avoided in epileptic dogs. It is used as an antioxidant in many dog foods so that may be something you want to consider.

There are some pre prepare raw diets like Honeys and Nutriment which are highly regarded by many. Raw feeding without the preparation. The content can be checked on their websites .
http://www.nutriment.co/dinner-for-dogs-range/

Lilys tinned is ok , I have tried a couple on my dog.
Glo
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2015, 09:04 PM
I do always check the foods for Rosemary and Sage because I heard they can be triggers. I might have a look at the ones already prepared with everything in it what's needed. I will have a look at the ones you mentioned thanks
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Hi there

I have a 10-year-old dog with epilepsy. He is fed a raw diet with some home-cooked stuff because he likes it, avoiding grains as much as possible and anything with additives such as colours/preservatives, etc. To be honest, I can't say his diet has improved his frequency of fits at all - he has recently had almost 20 - but he is very healthy and full of energy, so that must help him to cope with the fits. He loves his walks, and gets lots of exercise, which keeps him fit so must help too.

He is now medicated with phenobarbital, which has helped hugely in his recovery but because of its effect on the liver, I supplement with milk thistle, which I hope will help.

Have you heard of the GARD diet, which is purported to have a positive effect on canine epilepsy:

http://dogtorj.com/the-g-a-r-d-made-simple/

All dogs are different though and what helps one might not help another, so it's a case of trying things and seeing what suits your dog - I know you already know that.
Meg
Supervisor

17-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hi there

I have a 10-year-old dog with epilepsy. He is fed a raw diet with some home-cooked stuff because he likes it, avoiding grains as much as possible and anything with additives such as colours/preservatives, etc. To be honest, I can't say his diet has improved his frequency of fits at all - he has recently had almost 20 - but he is very healthy and full of energy, so that must help him to cope with the fits. He loves his walks, and gets lots of exercise, which keeps him fit so must help too.
Linda although you have no proof I would guess the diet you have been feeding may have boosted Lokis antibodies and his ability to fight off all illness contributing to his overall health. He certainly looks in great shape so you must be doing something right
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks Meg - I think you have a point there. A good diet can't hurt, can it?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2015, 08:46 AM
One of my dogs, Kia, started having fits last year (she is 9 years old), I bred her myself and she has been raised on raw since she was first weaned.

I researched a bit and came across a few things that I have implemented.

No Beef, some foods increase the ammonia in the brain which can trigger fits, no grains, dogs don't need them, and I only give the dogs filtered water.

I now feed her Natures Menu raw complete diet which comes in either blocks or nuggets, she has mainly the senior nuggets.

The fits have over the last few months started becoming less frequent, we went 12 weeks last time.

I have had her monitored by my vet and we did discuss putting her on medication which in my book will be the last resort and I didn't feel we were at that point.

I must add that she has a very high liver count, but only one marker seems to be affected, the vet is not of the opinion that the two things are connected.

I also consulted a reputable homeopathic vet who advised that we split her meals, split her exercise to more frequent but shorter walks, we also give her rescue remedy and Milk Thistle. The Milk Thistle is to support her liver function.

I hope that your French Bulldog improves Glo but there may be a possibility that there is a genetic reason for his fits, this is something I also had to look into as Kia's Aunt went down a similar route and sadly didn't survive. Although there was no autopsy it was concluded that she probably had a brain tumour but there is still a question mark.

Sorry I have rambled a bit but I sincerely wish you and your dog well.

I must add that I am by no means an expert, I am just passing on things that I have come across.
Glo
New Member!
Female 

19-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Hello
Thank you for your information. I have heard of the natures menu nuggets and maybe I will try that. I do have the recue remedy but last week when he had 5 fits within 30 mins I gave him 2 rectal Valium. I think that it is prob genetic with him, but he is such a lovely dog, and I just get so worried when he keeps having one after the other and always end up calling the vet.
I am glad the the afterwards doesn't last too long, I don't know what I would do if it lasted over a week.
I must admit it has really put me off getting anymore dogs because I just hate seeing him go through that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >