Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pancake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Swallowing a foreign object!

Around 7pm om Monday evening murphy my springer swallowed the end of a sillicone spatula! (the large end not the handle)

Its now 4.30pm weds & there has been so sign of it coming out the other end, its bright pink so wouldn't mistake it for anything else,

He seems absolutely fine, has eaten five meals since mon eve, drinking, pooing/weeing normal & is just his usual self,

He has a grade 2 heart murmur so I don't want to have him sedated if its still possible that he may pass it through although I do realise that if he doesn't pass it the object would still need to be removed dispite having no ill effects,

I have read conflicting reports on how long it takes for objects to go through their system from 10hrs to three days or more,

Has anyone here experienced this?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Have you spoken to your vet about this? I know of dogs who have retained bits of rubber etc for months even longer and then become ill and unfortunately die.

Known other dogs who reacquaint themselves with the object after a week or more.

Speak to your vet first in order that he can assess the risk of it staying in or coming out..........
spottydoggy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Hello yeah my dog tanya gets hold of things but she is more likley to eat socks and underwear ,rather than spatulas
it usually takes her about 3 or 4 days to pass them ,she worries me tho sometimes cause she too has a grade 2 heart murmur ,
I hope it passes thro for you
pancake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:41 PM
When I rung the vets yesterday I got the usual answer of

"if you are concerned about your dog bring him in"

I'm sure they say that to everyone regardless of what has been asked!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Would the stomach acid dissolve it at all?
pancake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Murphy doesn't usually swallow things its just I was making liver cake for the dogs to use as treats & after scooping the mixture out of the magimix I put the spatula on the side but managed to knock it on the floor, he picked it up & I grabbed the handle hence him swallow the end only! it was covered in liver so probably tasted quite nice (for him anyway)
pancake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Would the stomach acid dissolve it at all?
don't think so but not 100%
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 04:14 PM
personally I would take him to the vets for xray and see if its likely to cause a problem...

Paige my boxer at sometime had eaten a toy squeaker...they hadnt had any toys for months so know it must've been there a while...

we only found out as this caused "bloat" and emergency surgery at 11.30pm at out of hours vet...luckily she survived...

so I now will always err on the side of caution...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Objects do not remain in the stomach for long, the digestive system of a dog is different to ours, so it ends up in the gut for longer, hence the problems.
pancake
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 08:11 PM
We have decided that if he hasn't passed it by 6pm tomorrow when my partner comes home we are going to take him up to see the vet, obviously if he starts to look unwell at all we will take him straight away, by that time it would be 72hrs,

will update tomorrow
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »