Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
After living in our house for 22 years, enjoying the peace and quiet, we had a scrappy slip of paper shoved through our letter box last week telling us that the open land/woodland at the side and back of our house will be up for auction on the 29th April 2008, which I guess means the building of new houses. Gone are the peaceful summer days of sitting in the garden and the kids enjoying playing in the pool without the worry of anybody looking over the fence etc.. if I had a spare £10,000 I'd buy it myself

This is an (old) ariel picture of where we live, our house isn't that pink colour any more thank goodness, but you can see why we are so unhappy all the greenery will be gone

Oh! how spooky is that, we had exactly the same happen!!!!!! We had almost two years of 'loud' builders, silly woof whistles and now a load of kids behind us. They don't climb the fences (yet) but boy the peace has gone, especially during the school hols. Another reason why I want out.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I think you'd be talking more than £10K here????!!! We've got a very small piece of land behind our rear garden, which was originally half of our back garden, but when the house was sold to us they kept that small piece of land, and have since bought half of the neighbours, and consequently they had enough to build ONE small bungalow on it, and do you know how much that tiny piece of land with planning permission was sold for 6 months ago???? £100K so I think your £10K estimate is way, way low for more than one house!

Such a shame, all this green land going for building. Down here they're building in back gardens in our small village, even up the close behind me they've squeezed them in

Fight it anyway, but there's no way you could get that land for £10K absolutely no way! Even greenbelt land is astronimically priced now per square metre! I think you'll be quite shocked if you find out exactly HOW much it would be up for!
Apparantly the piece behind us went for £120K
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I feel so sorry for you, we have been down this road,12 years ago.
We had a lovely council house with 2 derelict houses beside it and an orchard behind lovely pond and loads of open land belonging to the Local Hospital. It was sold we had bought our house by then,us and the Neighbours and those from another estate at the other end of this land all got together formed a committee and tried our hardest to stop it to no avail. The developers workmen even knocked down an old oak tree in front of my eyes one day even though it had an order on it I informed the Council and the developers got a fine.
We ended up with an access road beside our house and houses and flats behind. We had terrible trouble with delivery lorries all hours of the day and I was always out there arguing with the lorry drivers who kept parking across our drive way. We did get a new fence at the bottom and side of the house. Whoopee,even that caused a row,we sold up and got out as the stress it caused us killed the love we had for our tranquil spot.
I hope this doesn't happen to you, I will say if they do anything to annoy or destroy your peace get on their case.
We could of claimed we had a Solicitor on our case but in the end we just wanted to leave it all behind.
Find out who the Agents are. Who buys it, who will be developing the land if that happens so you have people to make official complaints too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Apparantly the piece behind us went for £120K
That's more realistic! When you think a build cost is £120K, and the average house price is now nearly £200K, you would never expect to buy a piece of land big enough to build on for much less than around £60K nowadays. Like Lise has said, I'm sure that figure is just to get people's interest, it's gonna go for at least £50/£60 imo! I shall watch that link with interest to see how much it does go for
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
If you've got a chance of buying it without any planning yet, then buy it, not only to keep your own privacy but for a future investment too!
I agree, at 10K it sounds as if there's no planning consent right now.

But, if there's a developer sniffing around as Helena says, with planning permission the price will jump ten fold. Even if there's no 'brown paper bag' stuff going on a developer is in a pefect permission to get planning consent because what they often do is offer to give the council something (Like a recreation centre) that they can't afford right now without increasing rates.

When you see your soliciter ask about any 'covenants' that maybe on the land now, try to get them updated (If there are any) and as others have said check out if the land has been designated as 'green belt' or whatever.

Sadly, if you want it to stay as lovely green woods and tranquil walks, you'll need to buy it yourselves (Or in partnership with your neighbours)
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry to hear this, it is such a worry.

The council are doing a lot of selling round our way at the moment. We have a rank of garages behind our house and the council have told us they are being knocked down for houses. Luckily for us next door has a "right of way" rear access on his deeds which goes right through the middle of the garages which is holding up the council at the moment. I hope they are left as garages as they cause us no problems and if there are houses they will be able to look right over our gardens. Good luck hope it all works out well.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh Sharon that is awful. I am totally surprised. I assumed that all the green space around your way was owned by the Council and would be part of the Blaise Estate.
Is it used a lot by the public for walking?
Can you get the Evening Post involved?
As you know Bristolians are very proud of Blaise and would be horrified to hear what was going on. It is akin to building on the Downs!
What about your local councillor - any use.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 09:16 PM
are there any old oak trees in there, if so u should be able to get some sort of order on them. also id get in touch with some of the *protesters* they can be of great help. ok very differnt but most of them are really good ppl who care.
ive got an acquaintance who might be able to help.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Well the bad news is that the land sold last night at auction, but only sold for £40k, not sure if this is good or not, just wondered if the people that own houses behind the woodland bought it? Will have to see if we can find out any more info on who bought it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 04:11 PM
I would imagine it has no planning consents, so you will be able to hold things up every step of the way for whoever wants to develop it...if they do. There is a grwoing trend for people to buy woodland, to just keep it as that...woodland, so don't give up hope just yet. Phone the plannin dept as others haev said and ask what the chances are of it being developed and if you will be kept informed of any applications in changing the use of the land.
Keep is posted.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3