Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minskiy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-01-2009, 11:35 AM

Dillema

Me and my wife having a discussion and need someone to give us a proper advise We took our puppy when she was 8 weeks old and she wasn't fully vaccinated so we couldn't take her out for the toilet. So she learned to go on the special pud we put in the bathroom.

Now our dog is almost 4 month and she does everything outside. We still having her pud in the bathroom and she wees there in the middle of the night. Now we are thinking about starting taking her out in the middle of the night as well, just for a minute so she can do everything outside and forget about doing it at home.

My wife went to the special puppy classes and her teacher advised to keep using the pud at night. Now my wife thinks this is right and the biggest argument is that our dog will be waking up outside and after that it will be difficult get her to sleep again.

So, do we keep taking her to the pud or outside? When do you started to train your dog to go outside all the time?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I never train my dogs to go on paper or pads because then you have to retrain, I would take her outside to go everytime.
I used to take mine out before bed then at 3am out for toilet and back to bed then up early - if they woke up outside they got 5 mins play then back to bed.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi Art and welcome to Dogsey I don't believe in using pet pads or newspaper at all when training puppies except in exceptional circumstances (eg disabled people training a dog/people living in high rise flat unable to reach the outside quickly.)

What is the point of teaching a puppy to soil in the house when you want it to spend its life going outside..
Here is an article which may help you...

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-01-2009, 05:40 PM
At 4 months she is pretty much able to last all night. If she is crated, then try to ignore her cries and let her settle again. If not, it might be trickier.

Where does she sleep at the moment?